Gastroenteritis - Symptoms

What symptoms did you have with gastroenteritis (stomach flu)?

What are the symptoms of gastroenteritis?

The primary symptom of gastroenteritis is diarrhea (non-bloody). Nausea, vomiting, and some abdominal cramping may accompany the diarrhea; mild fever (about 100 F or 37.77 C), chills, headache, and muscle aches along with feeling tired may occur in some individuals. Vomiting is occasional and the symptoms usually last about 2 to 5 days and begin to resolve. Severe gastroenteritis means the person has signs of dehydration; this is a medical emergency.

Children with gastroenteritis usually have diarrhea, but may have other symptoms, sometimes conflicting, of refusing to eat or drink or are very thirsty, either increased or low or no urine output. Weight loss, lethargy, and pinched skin that does not rapidly go back to normal are signs of dehydration, along with decreased fluid intake.

Return to Gastroenteritis (Stomach Flu)

Comment from: ed, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 21

A few days ago Tuesday, I started feeling minor symptoms of gastroenteritis. It wasn't till Thursday that same week I had shivers, extreme headache like a sinus infection, painful cramps and fever. No vomiting, thank goodness. After two days my symptoms improved but the cramps remained as well as the trips to the bathroom. Now it is day four, I am still with cramps and diarrhea. On top of that I have developed a hemorrhoid the size of a golf ball which makes me want to use the rest room even more. At the moment it feels like I am constipated and have diarrhea at the same time. In addition, I am not urinating as easily. Seems like I have a blockage.

Comment from: NapsWithCats, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

I went to emergency hospital last night as I was suffering; I mean crying in pain (rare occurrence). I already have colitis (since I was 19), hiatal hernia and GERD, but last night I was slammed with immediate watery diarrhea, severe stomach cramps to the point I was unable to pet my cats even. Leaning over hurt, standing up straight hurt. I called my friend who took me to emergency last night. They took CT scan and also an x-ray and found I had gastroenteritis that has been 'probably caused by a virus. I believe it is norovirus. I was given prescription for aluminum hydroxide/magnesium hydroxide/simethicone 200/200/20 to be taken 4 times/day, and also another one that I am not going to fill because I was feeling nauseous, but never threw up. The other is Zofran ODT 4 mg (1 tablet every 8 hours). I won't be filling this one, I am very low on money. What a painful thing to go through! I had headaches for about a month (never got headaches before), I have regular colitis, but yesterday it went crazy, and then the intolerable stomach cramping; horrible. As soon as that pharmacy opens, I'm getting the simethicone. I remember when I was first diagnosed at age 19 with colitis they gave me this and it really calms the stomach!