Gastroenteritis - Symptoms

What symptoms did you have with gastroenteritis (stomach flu)?

Please select the black triangle:

What are the symptoms of gastroenteritis?

The primary symptom of gastroenteritis is diarrhea (non-bloody). Nausea, vomiting, and some abdominal cramping may accompany the diarrhea; mild fever (about 100 F or 37.77 C), chills, headache, and muscle aches along with feeling tired may occur in some individuals. Vomiting is occasional and the symptoms usually last about 2 to 5 days and begin to resolve. Severe gastroenteritis means the person has signs of dehydration: this is a medical emergency.

Children with gastroenteritis usually have diarrhea, but may have other symptoms, sometimes conflicting, of refusing to eat or drink or are very thirsty, either increased or low or no urine output.Weight loss, lethargy, and pinched skin that does not rapidly go back to normal are signs of dehydration, along with decreased fluid intake.

Return to Gastroenteritis (Stomach Flu)

Comment from: Male, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 08

My gastroenteritis symptom was foul smelling frequent bowel movements. I am a diabetic under kidney treatment and take phosphorous blockers. I had no flu like symptoms.

Comment from: Diane, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

I awoke in the night feeling that something wasn't right. I went to the bathroom and immediately broke out in heavy perspiration, and had a real bout of diarrhea. It really scared me. All night I had fever, chills, stomach cramps, and was up and down making trips to the bathroom. I had no idea where all that fluid came from in the diarrhea. Like it would never stop. The next day was the same thing. I slept almost all day which I've never done. The next day, I felt better and decided to try some solid food; bad idea. Back it came, though not as bad. I've been trying to stay hydrated with water and Gatorade. I have only eaten Jell-O, rice cooked in chicken broth, and some applesauce. Gastroenteritis isn't fun at all!