Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation - Side Effects

Did you experience any side effects from transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation?

Please select the black square:

Who is a good candidate for transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation?

Although this therapy isn't for everyone, individuals looking for a relatively inexpensive, well-tolerated treatment option with few side effects may find a TENS unit a good option to explore.

Return to Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation

Comment from: Prof Sanchez, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: January 02

Every time they use transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation on my neck I leave confused, disoriented and my memory is slow. My mother's physical therapist used TENS on my mother and I watched, learned and was oriented on where never to put the patches and electrodes. One of the areas is on the neck. Stimulation should not be applied to the neck. Severe spasm of the laryngeal and pharyngeal muscles may occur and the contractions may be strong enough to close the airway or cause difficulty in breathing. Stimulation over the neck could also have adverse effects on the heart rhythm or blood flow. This disorientation you are feeling may be due to the reduced blood flow to your brain. I would consult the physician, and the person who is giving you these therapies. It should be a trained medical professional. TENS placed in the wrong locations can do more harm than good. If placed correctly, it works wonders. Take care and hope this info helps.

Comment from: RAOatesy, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 18

Even on the lowest setting, TENS (transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation) quickly made the rheumatoid arthritis affected joints in my feet hurt worse.