PANDAS - Symptoms and Sign

Please describe your child's PANDAS symptoms and signs.

Please select the white circle:

What are symptoms and signs of PANDAS?

PANDAS symptoms are similar to those of obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD), attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), and motor or verbal tics. Symptoms tend to appear suddenly, and the recovery period is variable. Often the symptoms may worsen during streptococcal infections and improve in between.

Return to PANDAS (Pediatric Autoimmune Neuropsychiatric Disorders Associated With Streptococcal Infections)

Comment from: Gretchen, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 08

My son's first PANDAS symptoms were sudden and severe separation anxiety after several bouts of strep throat. Symptoms resolved after 3 rounds of oral antibiotics. Three years later my son had sudden neck tic. One day with no tics, the next day with several tics every few seconds. He had no control and felt he had to repeatedly perform this motion to release the feeling only for it to build back up again. My son struggled with this for over 3 months before antibiotics finally reduced the tic. His strep titer was 8 times the normal. My son now takes a daily low dose of penicillin that keeps symptoms controlled.

Comment from: shorty 4842, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 04

My daughter was perfectly fine until February 2014 when she suffered illness, nothing major just cold like symptoms; virtually overnight she changed. She had trouble sleeping, whining and crying all the time, having meltdowns, constant defiance, all very unlike her. I was sure it was an ear infection and after months of going to the genera physician requesting a referral to an ear specialist (I have two other children who suffered chronic ear infections and their behaviors were just like this) I finally got a referral only to find hearing/ears are perfect. This was almost disappointing as I was sure she had (and still has) some sort of underlying infection; constant runny/congested nose, cough and even a faint rash on her body. None of the doctors I saw in 14 month period took any notice of the rash. They ended up suggesting I see a psychiatrist for behavioral problems. I was starting to think it might be Asperger's syndrome (as I have a child diagnosed with this) as the behavior, extreme anxiety, defiance, etc., were similar; the only difference is that I was sure this started with an illness and was very sudden. Finally I got a referral to our pediatrician who did a blood test and confirmed high antibody something, indicating scarlet fever or strep and so most likely PANDAS. I almost had to beg for penicillin as she didn't believe it would make any difference and having had it for the 10 days, I believe it has helped slightly. The pediatrician advised that the symptoms will just go away over time. We can't continue like this, while her symptoms aren't extreme i.e. OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder), and her behavior is so bad, it is really starting to define her.