PANDAS - Symptoms and Sign

Please describe your child's PANDAS symptoms and signs.

Please select the white circle:

What are symptoms and signs of PANDAS?

PANDAS symptoms are similar to those of obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD), attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), and motor or verbal tics. Symptoms tend to appear suddenly, and the recovery period is variable. Often the symptoms may worsen during streptococcal infections and improve in between.

Return to PANDAS (Pediatric Autoimmune Neuropsychiatric Disorders Associated With Streptococcal Infections)

Comment from: shorty 4842, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 04

My daughter was perfectly fine until February 2014 when she suffered illness, nothing major just cold like symptoms; virtually overnight she changed. She had trouble sleeping, whining and crying all the time, having meltdowns, constant defiance, all very unlike her. I was sure it was an ear infection and after months of going to the genera physician requesting a referral to an ear specialist (I have two other children who suffered chronic ear infections and their behaviors were just like this) I finally got a referral only to find hearing/ears are perfect. This was almost disappointing as I was sure she had (and still has) some sort of underlying infection; constant runny/congested nose, cough and even a faint rash on her body. None of the doctors I saw in 14 month period took any notice of the rash. They ended up suggesting I see a psychiatrist for behavioral problems. I was starting to think it might be Asperger's syndrome (as I have a child diagnosed with this) as the behavior, extreme anxiety, defiance, etc., were similar; the only difference is that I was sure this started with an illness and was very sudden. Finally I got a referral to our pediatrician who did a blood test and confirmed high antibody something, indicating scarlet fever or strep and so most likely PANDAS. I almost had to beg for penicillin as she didn't believe it would make any difference and having had it for the 10 days, I believe it has helped slightly. The pediatrician advised that the symptoms will just go away over time. We can't continue like this, while her symptoms aren't extreme i.e. OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder), and her behavior is so bad, it is really starting to define her.

Comment from: socalmom, 25-34 Male (Caregiver) Published: April 04

In 1987 when my son was six years old he had 3 recurring strep infections and then developed scarlet fever. It was so severe that he had a rash and spots. A few weeks later, out of nowhere, came motor and vocal tics and ADHD (attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder) symptoms. His teacher in first grade noticed that the symptoms worsened after his being ill with strep. Even his handwriting at school was affected. For the next six months I went to various doctors including specialists who eventually diagnosed him with Tourette's syndrome. Since I noticed that the symptoms appeared after he had strep and scarlet fever I made sure he had antibiotics every time he got sick with a fever and sore throat. The symptoms lessened over the next 10 years. The ADHD went away and so did the vocal tics. Only the motor tics remained. People noticed but we never made a big deal out of trying to fix it. We just lived our lives. He did very well in high school and graduated as the top academic and athlete of the year in 3 varsity sports. I never felt that he had full blown Tourette's and back then no one knew about PANDAS. I am grateful for the medical research that found this connection between strep and motor/vocal tics. My son is now 33 and a successful businessman. We just accepted that he has tics off and on that is just part of him. But I definitely believe it was PANDAS after reading what is on this site.