Palpitations - Symptoms

What do your palpitation symptoms feel like?

What are the signs and symptoms of palpitations?

Palpitations describe an irregularity of the heartbeat as felt by the patient. They may be felt as an isolated skipped beat or they may be frequent and recurrent. Palpitations may also be rapid and either regular or irregular. This may lead to the patient describing a fluttering in their chest.

Patients may also complain of fullness in their chest or throat. There may also be associated shortness of breath, nausea, and sweating. If the heart rate is very fast, the patient's blood pressure may fall causing lightheadedness and the sensation that they might pass out. Syncope, where the patient actually does faint or pass out, may occur depending upon the cause of palpitations.

Return to Palpitations

Comment from: olga, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 09

My palpitations feel like skipping sensations and at times when I'm at rest it feels like my heart wants to stop. I feel most of my palpitations when I'm at rest. Sometimes they feel like someone is pounding on my chest. I get up right away. It feels like my heart skips a beat then it continues with a heartbeat. One cardiologist told me that I will need a pacemaker one day. I had a heart attack 25 years ago. I'm tired most of the time.

Comment from: officer, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 20

With palpitations I have sudden racing in the right side of my chest.