Cirrhosis of The Liver - Experience

Please describe your experience, or the experience of someone you know with cirrhosis of the liver.

Please select the white circle:

Cirrhosis facts

• Cirrhosis is a complication of liver disease which involves loss of liver cells and irreversible scarring of the liver.
  • Alcohol and viral hepatitis B and C are common causes of cirrhosis, although there are many other causes.
  • Cirrhosis can cause weakness, loss of appetite, easy bruising, yellowing of the skin (jaundice), itching, and fatigue.
  • Diagnosis of cirrhosis can be suggested by history, physical examination and blood tests, and can be confirmed by liver biopsy.
  • Complications of cirrhosis include edema and ascites, spontaneous bacterial peritonitis, bleeding from varices, hepatic encephalopathy, hepatorenal syndrome, hepatopulmonary syndrome, hypersplenism, and liver cancer.
  • Treatment of cirrhosis is designed to prevent further damage to the liver, treat complications of cirrhosis, and preventing or detecting liver cancer early.
  • Transplantation of the liver is becoming an important option for treating patients with advanced cirrhosis.
Return to Cirrhosis (Liver)

Comment from: suew, Female (Caregiver) Published: April 07

My partner of 24 years and father of my 2 kids contracted the hepatitis C virus after a car accident when he was 21 years of age and given a blood transfusion which was tainted. He was given 20 years to live with the hepatitis C virus. It is now 24 years later and he has chronic liver disease. Since September last year he kept getting fluid in his lower legs and a bloated stomach. He drank a lot since he had injured his shoulder in February last year and had not been able to work at all. Enter February 2016 where he was rushed to hospital with fluid on his stomach at a dangerous level and variances in his esophagus (one still needs to be removed in case it ruptures and he bleeds to death). No cancer so far which is fantastic but there has been lots of fogginess, tiredness, and sleeping for 2 hour periods. He has not touched a drop of alcohol for 4 months now. He has been in hospital at least every 2 weeks having taps to drain the fluid and lately having abdomen pains which ends in him not being able to use his bladder or bowel properly. He is going to start antibiotics on Friday to clear this up and hopefully he will not get fluid retention as much. He takes fluid tablets, multivitamins, Harvoni (which is a new hepatitis C medicine) which I hope works and will help with some of his liver functions. He also has other tablets too and I think now is on about 7 altogether. Tonight at the specialists they said that he might have 10 years if he is lucky without a liver transplant, but then with transplants there is still the worry of side effects and rejection. I am hoping that once the medications are worked out properly which seem to change every time his body brings up a new problem that he can lead a fairly good life. I wonder if anyone else who cares for someone going through this, experiences anger from them. My partner told me to leave him, that I am lazy, and don't care for him properly. He seems to get very frustrated at the slightest thing and I have a feeling that it is the illness. Some days are really hard when you love someone going through this sort of thing. I hope that everyone on here can get some sort of life they can live happily with.

Comment from: hope, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 29

I have cirrhosis. It is a terrible thing to have. When I lost 13 people in 6 months' time I went over the edge. I drank a lot. Now this is my life. I did not feel well and went to walk-in clinic. I was rushed to the emergency room and spent the next 2 months in the hospital. I went from 145 lb to 80. I almost died. That was in 2006. Since then I have had so many things wrong with me. It affected my heart, my kidneys; too many to list. I don't feel sorry for myself. I did this to me. I try to keep up a positive outlook. Now I am going through it again. My liver is getting worse. I could not have a transplant because it would be extremely hard to match me as I have RH negative B blood type. Try to be supportive. I know it's hard to do. I lost my husband because he could not handle it. But I just keep on keeping on. And as my best friend used to say, get done, do what you need to! I miss her terribly but I know she is by my side in spirit as are the rest of my angels who are with her.