Cirrhosis of The Liver - Experience

Please describe your experience, or the experience of someone you know with cirrhosis of the liver.

Please select the black square:

Cirrhosis facts

• Cirrhosis is a complication of liver disease which involves loss of liver cells and irreversible scarring of the liver.
  • Alcohol and viral hepatitis B and C are common causes of cirrhosis, although there are many other causes.
  • Cirrhosis can cause weakness, loss of appetite, easy bruising, yellowing of the skin (jaundice), itching, and fatigue.
  • Diagnosis of cirrhosis can be suggested by history, physical examination and blood tests, and can be confirmed by liver biopsy.
  • Complications of cirrhosis include edema and ascites, spontaneous bacterial peritonitis, bleeding from varices, hepatic encephalopathy, hepatorenal syndrome, hepatopulmonary syndrome, hypersplenism, and liver cancer.
  • Treatment of cirrhosis is designed to prevent further damage to the liver, treat complications of cirrhosis, and preventing or detecting liver cancer early.
  • Transplantation of the liver is becoming an important option for treating patients with advanced cirrhosis.
Return to Cirrhosis (Liver)

Comment from: awilson70, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: December 11

My husband of 24 years has cirrhosis from years of drinking. He is now in total liver failure and his kidney function is at 40 percent. He has been hospitalized 8 times in 6 months because he is so sick. He has weekly belly taps, and bottles upon bottles of medicines. His mother is now caring for him full time since he needed a home care worker. He will be eligible for a liver transplant in 5 more months if he stays sober and if he survives.

Comment from: Son John, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 30

I am a Marine, I was stationed at a place where I was exposed to benzene. The water source was tainted. I have cirrhosis of the liver. I was told that I had 2 weeks to a month to live. I drank but not in excess. That was 3 years ago. I drink lots of water and take vitamins. The Veterans Affairs (VA) will not recognize this as being their fault. The State of North Carolina does and passed laws but they can only do so much. The VA is covering all my medical but I can no longer work and they refuse to grant me a pension. I am on social security. I suffer from neuropathy, arthritis and many other ailments affiliated with cirrhosis. I am getting a hip replacement 2/4/2016. I am 58 years old. I believe the VA should help. I can no longer drink or be carefree. I can no longer work. I have no spare money and the possibility of finding a girlfriend is not looking good. So on top of my ailments I am alone and depressed. It is not fair.