Sore Throat - Experience

Please share your experience with sore throat.

Please select the black square:

Sore throat facts

• Most sore throats are caused by viruses or mechanical causes (such as mouth breathing) and can be treated successfully at home.
  • Sore throat symptoms include pain, burning or scratching sensations at the back of the throat, pain when swallowing, and tenderness in the neck. Sore throat symptoms may be accompanied by:
    • coughing,
    • sneezing,
    • fever, and
    • swollen lymph nodes.
  • Home remedies for sore throat include:
    • saltwater gargles,
    • sprays, lozenges, and
    • humidifiers.
    • Do not give lozenges to young children as they are a choking hazard.
  • Any sore throat that has a rapid onset and is associated with a fever or tenderness of the front of the neck may be serious and should be seen by a doctor.
  • Any sore throat that causes a person to have difficulty swallowing (not just pain with swallowing) or breathing should be seen by a health-care professional.
  • Seek medical care immediately for a sore throat if the affected individual is unable to take his or her medications, has heart palpitations, is are lightheaded, or the tongue or lips swell up.
  • Any sore throat that lasts for more than a week should be evaluated by a health-care professional.
  • If you are pregnant and your sore throat symptoms are severe or do not resolve in three days, seek medical attention.
Return to Sore Throat

Comment from: 1231girlygirl, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

I just came back from the emergency room (ER) last night and got diagnosed with both a viral and bacterial pharyngitis.

Comment from: DrDebi, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 04

I had a low grade fever and sore throat, and dry but persistent cough for 3 to 4 days and no energy. I finally went to the hospital. After a 2 hour wait they said I didn't have strep, it was probably viral and would go away in a day or two. I didn't want to infect the rest of the clan so we came back from vacation two days ago and the sore throat is worse than ever. I can hardly swallow. I tried gargling with salt water but I can't even get my throat open enough to get a good gargle. I've lost my voice. I still have low grade temp (97.7). I don't want to go back to another doctor just to have them tell me it's viral, go home and wait it out. When I swallow I want to cry and I'm not generally a cry baby.