Sore Throat - OTC Remedies

What OTC remedies were helpful with the symptoms of sore throat?

What OTC medications will soothe a sore throat?

There are various over-the-counter medications that can help soothe a sore throat. Acetaminophen (Tylenol) or ibuprofen (Advil or Motrin) are analgesics that can provide pain relief. These medications can also serve to reduce fever if your sore throat is caused by infection. Avoid aspirin in children and teenagers, as it has been associated with a serious illness called Reye's syndrome.

Throat lozenges and analgesic throat sprays can also be beneficial for some individuals with a sore throat. If your sore throat is caused by gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), OTC medications such as antacids, H2 blockers, and proton pump inhibitors can help relieve symptoms. If you have allergies or postnasal drip that is causing your sore throat, OTC antihistamines and decongestants may provide symptom relief. If you have a cough that is causing your sore throat, an OTC cough syrup may help diminish the cough.

Zinc lozenges have been found to decrease the duration of symptoms in patients with colds.

Return to Sore Throat

Comment from: 25-34 Female Published: November 04

I went to the ER with my sore throat, body aches, and fever. They said it was a virus and told me about the poor man's sore throat fix. You take a bottle of Maalox and squirt a tube of baby Anbesol into it and shake it really well. Every three to four hours you gargle this and then swallow. Not only does it numb your throat but it helps with an upset stomach. You must use the baby Anbesol though. Regular strength is too much for your body. I was able to drink this, wait five minutes take some pain relievers, and then eat a little soft food.

Comment from: Yuki, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

I started my sore throat on Monday. Nothing major, bought a bag of cough drops and it helped. Next day, started coughing a bit and having trouble keeping my voice sounding normal. Today, can't even speak without my voice cracking and I'm hacking up my lungs. I've gone to the pharmacy and they gave me Chloraseptic. Let's hope I get better.