Bacterial Vaginosis - Experience

Please describe your experience with bacterial vaginosis.

Please select the white circle:

Bacterial vaginosis facts

• Bacterial vaginosis is an abnormal vaginal condition that is characterized by vaginal discharge and results from an overgrowth of atypical bacteria in the vagina.
  • Bacterial vaginosis is not dangerous, but it can cause disturbing symptoms.
  • Most women do not experience symptoms of bacterial vaginosis, but when they do they are:
    • vaginal discharge, and
    • vaginal odor.
  • In diagnosing bacterial vaginosis, it is important to exclude other serious vaginal infections, such as the STDs gonorrhea and Chlamydia.
  • Treatment options for bacterial vaginosis include prescription oral antibiotics and vaginal gels.
  • Serious complications of bacterial vaginosis can occur during pregnancy, and recurrence is possible even after successful treatment.
Return to Bacterial Vaginosis

Comment from: Janelle, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 22

I first encountered bacterial vaginosis (BV) four years ago after a flight from the US to Australia. Only symptom was the stench; very embarrassing. I used panty liners and changed it every couple of hours and then saw my doctor when I returned home. The pH levels were definitely off. It has recurred every time I take a long flight (weird)! My treatment is to use RepHresh, an OTC vaginal gel that has four treatments over 12 days. That definitely removes the odor. Now I start a course before any long trip. Hope this helps others.

Comment from: NMC, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 18

Within 24 hours of a colposcopy, due to an abnormal Pap smear, I was diagnosed with bacterial vaginosis. This came as a surprise to me because I did not have any symptoms. This is the second time I've been diagnosed with bacterial vaginosis; the last time I was diagnosed was at my last colposcopy about five years ago. Both times I've been prescribed a seven day course of antibiotics. At both times of these diagnoses I've been married to the same sexual partner; no others.