Bacterial Vaginosis - Treatment

What treatments were effective for bacterial vaginosis?

What is the treatment for bacterial vaginosis?

Up to a third of cases of bacterial vaginosis will resolve on their own without any treatment. Nonetheless, treatment with antibiotics is recommended if a woman is pregnant or if she is having symptoms related to the bacterial vaginosis. Different antibiotics may be used. Metronidazole may be given orally in pill form or applied as a vaginal gel. Clindamycin vaginal cream is another option for topical treatment. It is important to treat bacterial vaginosis during pregnancy due to the potential risks of preterm delivery and low birth weight.

Return to Bacterial Vaginosis

Comment from: janelle, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 21

Acidophilus and probiotics and a ton of water worked for me almost instantly but I found I had to continue taking the supplements after symptoms had cleared. Still it worked.

Comment from: joani, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 05

I agree Janelle that acidophilus especially, Lactobacillus acidophilus is key. What I found that worked extremely well for bacterial vaginosis is a product called Femanol. You can find it online or at Amazon. I of course can't promise it well work as good for you as it did for me, but I am very pleased with it.