Bacterial Vaginosis - Complications

What complications did you experience with bacterial vaginosis?

What are the complications of bacterial vaginosis?

Bacterial vaginosis can cause complications during pregnancy. Having bacterial vaginosis has been linked to an increased risk of preterm delivery or having a baby with low birth weight. Bacterial vaginosis also increases a woman's risk of having an infection after surgical procedures such as abortion or hysterectomy. Bacterial vaginosis also increases a woman's risk for contracting sexually-transmitted infections, including herpes simplex virus (HSV), Chlamydia, gonorrhea, and HIV.

Return to Bacterial Vaginosis

Comment from: oldie girl, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 07

I have bacterial vaginosis and am still on meds. It's been almost a year. Without the meds I don't think I would leave my house. I didn't have a smell I had pain and the itch. It took four doctors to really find out what I had. I got mine from douching way too much, and I never knew it could happen. But then again, I didn't know it would just clean itself down there. If you think you have BV go to our OB/GYN ASAP, because with a yeast infection along with BV, it's a really bad feeling. Stay on your meds it helps. I'm a speed walker and love to be outdoors when it's hot. But with BV outsideit's not happening without the meds.

Comment from: JB, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I am a mother of 3, repeat C-sections plus tied tubes. I noticed a fishy smell that was really embarrassing when my partner and I had sex. I tried yogurt inserts, eating Greek yogurt daily. Yogurt douches, probiotic tabs and nothing seem to work. I also experience lower abdominal pain and lite discharge. My doc only gives me Flagyl and cream.