Bacterial Vaginosis - Complications

What complications did you experience with bacterial vaginosis?

Please select the black triangle:

What are the complications of bacterial vaginosis?

Bacterial vaginosis can resolve completely without complications after treatment. No special follow-up is necessary if the symptoms disappear.

Women with bacterial vaginosis are at increased risk for contracting HIV infection as well as other STDs including genital herpes, gonorrhea, and Chlamydia.

In pregnancy, bacterial vaginosis has been linked to premature labor, but the relationship is still not clear. Treatment is often recommended prior to hysterectomy, C-section (Cesarean birth), or IUD insertion in order to avoid spread of the disease into the pelvic organs.

However, treatment of bacterial vaginosis during pregnancy that is not causing symptoms has not been shown to decrease the incidence of premature births in most studies. For these reasons, screening and treatment for bacterial vaginosis during pregnancy is controversial, and research is still being conducted to determine its utility and value. Currently, routine screening of all pregnant women is not recommended. However, screening and treatment of bacterial vaginosis is sometimes recommended for women with a history of a preterm birth.

Return to Bacterial Vaginosis

Comment from: tired of the bv, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 21

I've had bacterial vaginosis for as long as I can remember, I was on the Depo shot when my symptoms started. I was always prescribed Flagyl which helps for a while. A lot of people have a problem taking them, I suggest taking them with milk after a meal. This may sound weird, but I use them like a suppository, because they dissolve quickly. It works for me, the symptoms are gone and smell is gone. But only temporary, it seem that nothing keeps it away forever.

Comment from: OddBall, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 24

I am not sexually active, have been sick off and on for some time now with stomach virus, thyroid disorder (Graves'), always seem to get sick of something since diagnosed a few years ago. I continuously get bacterial vaginosis and really don't know why. I eat healthy, take probiotics, and vitamins like I thought I should.