Genital Herpes - Treatment

What kind of treatment are you using for genital herpes?

Please select the black square:

What is the treatment for genital herpes?

Antiviral medications are available that can help manage the severity and duration of outbreaks, if taken immediately prior to (when there are tingling or unusual skin sensations but no blisters) or within 24 hours of an outbreak. The medications typically used are acyclovir (Zovirax), famciclovir (Famvir), or valacyclovir (Valtrex). These are all typically taken orally. In severe cases of viral infection, antiviral medications may be given intravenously, but this is not typically done for genital herpes. Topical medications that are applied directly to the sores are also available, but these are less effective than oral medications and are not generally used.

All of these medications may also be given as suppressive therapy to decrease the number of outbreaks in people who have frequent outbreaks (more than six outbreaks per year).

Return to Genital Herpes in Women

Comment from: Hadenuf, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 19

After 17 years of no outbreaks of genital herpes, I am having one now. I have been under severe stress for the past 3 years and it is ongoing, so I attribute it to that. After a week of symptoms, I finally asked for a prescription to help. I wish I had done it sooner.

Comment from: rena, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 06

I am a four year breast cancer survivor. Four years ago when I began chemotherapy, I had a breakout of genital herpes. Now it has been on a monthly basis for four years. I use no medications, my immune system is not low. My white blood cells are good. I just use plain water and wear white cotton undies. I just have gotten very tired of having this on a monthly basis. I eat good, fresh fruit and vegetables.