Swollen Lymph Nodes - Complications

What complications did you experience with swollen lymph nodes?

What are the complications of swollen lymph nodes?

There may be some complications associated with enlarged lymph nodes. If the lymph node swelling is related to an infection that is not treated, then an abscess (a pus-containing cavity) may ensue, which may require incisional drainage and antibiotics. The skin underlying the enlarged lymph node may also become infected.

In other cases, the lymph node may become very large and compress other nearby structures in the body. This could be a serious and debilitating problem that may require immediate medical or surgical attention. For example, the lymph node in the underarm (axilla) can compress the blood vessels and nerves supplying the arm. An enlarged lymph node inside the abdomen may compress the intestines and cause an obstruction of the intestines.

Return to Swollen Lymph Nodes

Comment from: deborah, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 15

I have virus all the time. My lymph nodes stay sore and burning, and it hurts in my groin area.

Comment from: tonya, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 09

My right lymph node in my neck is 1 cm in size. I had a CT and they are not ruling out cancer. I don't go back in till September 17 to see the ear, nose, and throat specialist. Now I have swollen taste buds and a sore throat.