Hernia - Causes

Do you know what caused your hernia?

What causes an abdominal hernia?

A hernia may be congenital and present at birth or it may develop over time in areas of weakness within the abdominal wall. Increasing the pressure within the abdominal cavity can cause stress at the weak points and allow parts of the abdominal cavity to protrude or herniate.

Increased pressure within the abdomen may occur in a variety of situations including chronic cough, increased fluid within the abdominal cavity (ascites), peritoneal dialysis used to treat kidney failure, and tumors or masses in the abdomen. The pressure may increase due to lifting excess weight, straining to have a bowel movement or urinate, or from trauma to the abdomen. Pregnancy or excess abdominal weight and girth are also factors that can lead to a hernia.

Return to Hernia

Comment from: Lmdudddy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I have not been diagnosed with hernia yet but it makes sense. I had pneumonia and coughed it out. I also have a problem when I lie down. I do not have spasms but it hurts.

Comment from: lulu, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: June 04

I had an emergency C-section 54 years ago, then another C-section, and then another incision from umbilicus to groin for a perforated colon and sepsis. Now I have had four protruding hernias in lower groin area that protrude, gurgle and occasionally enlarge a protruding stomach which resists diet and exercise. I am 5"4, 150 lbs. Scheduled once to have the mesh implant to hold these portions of the stomach in place and lift the urethra but not confident of the success of these procedure.