Hernia - Causes

Do you know what caused your hernia?

Please select the black triangle:

What causes an abdominal hernia?

A hernia may be congenital and present at birth or it may develop over time in areas of weakness within the abdominal wall. Increasing the pressure within the abdominal cavity can cause stress at the weak points and allow parts of the abdominal cavity to protrude or herniate.

Increased pressure within the abdomen may occur in a variety of situations including chronic cough, increased fluid within the abdominal cavity (ascites), peritoneal dialysis used to treat kidney failure, and tumors or masses in the abdomen. The pressure may increase due to lifting excess weight, straining to have a bowel movement or urinate, or from trauma to the abdomen. Pregnancy or excess abdominal weight and girth are also factors that can lead to a hernia.

Return to Hernia

Comment from: patty, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 08

I had my first surgery for a perforated ulcer on 7-3-2012 and was in the hospital for 77 days and I ended up with a surgical hernia. I had my second surgery on 3-19-2013 for hernia repair and during the cleanup of scar tissue they opened up my ulcer not knowing they did. I had mesh in there to help hold everything in. Well, 3 days after surgery I had a huge infection and it melted or destroyed my muscles. I had the 3rd surgery on 1-23-2014 and they took out my gall bladder during surgery repair but also had to take 25 percent of my stomach and 25 percent of my intestines so now I have a huge hernia and will have one for the rest of my life. Be very careful of the mesh sometimes you will get an infection and end up like me. It is very hard to bend over and real hard to find clothes as to me I look like I am 12 months pregnant so please be careful with this kind of surgery.

Comment from: Dean, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 02

I have found that I have a small umbilical hernia. This was caused from coughing from pneumonia that I had 2 months ago. I pulled a lower abdomen muscle but just found out that I also have a small umbilical hernia. It is not outward projecting but it projects out on the side of my belly button.