Hernia - Surgery

Did you have surgery to repair your hernia? What was that like?

Please select the black triangle:

What is the treatment for an abdominal hernia?

Inguinal hernia repair is one of the most common surgical procedures performed in the U.S. with almost a million operations occurring each year. Most abdominal wall hernias are repaired electively when the health of the patient can be maximized to decrease the risk of both the surgery and the anesthetic.

The inguinal hernia surgery may be performed by laparoscope or by an open procedure called a herniorrhaphy, where the surgeon directly repairs the hernia through an incision in the abdominal wall. The type of operation depends upon the clinical situation and the urgency of surgery and the decision is made by the surgeon tailored to that specific patient.

Other abdominal wall hernias can similarly be repaired to strengthen the defect in the abdominal wall and decrease the complication risk of bowel incarceration and strangulation.

Sliding hiatal hernias may be treated surgically to place the stomach back into the abdominal cavity and to strengthen the gastroesophageal junction. However, surgery is not routinely done because most symptoms are due to GERD. Medications, diet, lifestyle changes, and weight loss may help control symptoms and minimize the need for surgery.

Paraesophageal hernia repair is done to prevent the complication of strangulation or volvulus.

Return to Hernia

Comment from: genie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 23

I had surgery to repair my hernia two weeks ago, and it was same day surgery. I agree with the other patient, it really needs to be overnight and you must have someone to help you at home. The pain is intense. I have had over 10 surgeries and this is by far the longest and hardest recovery I have had to deal with. Just be prepared and when they tell you 4 to 6 weeks recovery, know that you will need that long for sure.

Comment from: Gg, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I had surgery to repair hernia in March 13. I was in hospital for 6 days. It was very painful and I still experience pain getting in and out of bed. I had 3 previous colon resection surgeries, this hernia repair is worst of all.