Abscessed Tooth - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience when you had an abscessed tooth?

What are the signs and symptoms of an abscessed tooth?

1. The tooth turns dark in color compared to surrounding teeth. The by-products of the necrotic pulp that leach into the porous tooth layer cause this discoloration.
  2. There is pain with eating or with pressing on the tooth. The abscess that has spread out the root tip causes the supporting structures (gum and bone) to be affected. Sometimes the throbbing or pulsating pain is so severe it can't be relieved with pain medications. This is usually related to the infection spreading and causing more pressure on the surrounding structures of gum and bone.
  3. There is swelling and/or a pimple on the gum that is filled with pus. This pimple is called a "draining fistula" and oftentimes can rupture to release pus. This is an obvious sign of infection. Other signs of a tooth abscess are a bad taste or bad odor in the mouth.

It is also important to note that an abscessed tooth may not have any symptoms at all. Because the tooth has lost vitality (or the ability to feel stimuli), there may be no pain associated with it. However, the abscess is still present and could be further spreading the infection. On occasion, an abscessed tooth is discovered during a routine radiographic (X-ray) exam where the patient has not experienced any symptoms of an abscessed tooth.

Return to Abscessed Tooth

Comment from: kissy, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 19

I have a sore and sensitive tooth and throbbing pain; I was up all night and had fever. And it's the first molar.

Comment from: blueEyes81, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 19

I had severe swelling (from my left ear, across my jaw-and under my chin to the right side of my face; including inside my mouth, under the tongue.) I had trouble swallowing (due to pain), trouble speaking due to pain and swelling, fever and trouble sleeping due to pain. As for pain, if I was lucky it was at a 6, at the worst, an 8.5.