Flu Vaccine (Flu Shot) - Experience

Please describe your experience with flu shot.

Why vaccinate for the flu?

The flu is highly infectious and is a serious viral respiratory infection. Whereas with other viral respiratory infections the symptoms usually are mild and most people can continue working or going to school while ill, with the flu, the symptoms are severe and prolonged and cause individuals to miss days of work or school. The infection stresses the body. In addition, superinfections may occur. Superinfections are bacterial infections that occur on top of a respiratory infection. Bacterial respiratory infections also are a serious type of infection, and the simultaneous viral and bacterial infection can overwhelm the function of the lungs and the body. Among the elderly and the very young, it can cause death. Because of its infectiousness, morbidity (severity of symptoms and time lost from work or school), and the potential for death, it is important to prevent the flu by vaccination. Although there are medications to treat the flu, they are expensive, not as effective as vaccination, and need to be started within 24-48 hours of the start of symptoms.

Return to Flu Vaccine (Flu Shot)

Comment from: Barbie5, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

Within minutes of receiving the flu vaccine at work, (I am a nurse and it was made mandatory that all employees receive it or risk employment) I walked down the hospital hall and suddenly had a strange lurching spastic gait. It only lasted a few minutes (2-3) and then resolved. The nurses I worked with were concerned and gave me fluids and had me sit for short period. I was okay the rest of the day. It was anxiety provoking and I will never receive any vaccine again.

Comment from: Nellie, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 11

I have had flu shot 3 times before without incident. I had it about 5 weeks ago now, very painful at the time and for a week at the site. Then I had increasing difficulty lifting left arm (needle arm), soreness in the armpit, ache at end of the day, sore at night to sleep on. I have kept exercising the arm lightly, but pain in the muscle seems to be growing worse.

Stay Informed!