Flu Vaccine (Flu Shot) - Experience

Please describe your experience with the flu shot.

Why vaccinate for the flu?

The flu is highly infectious and is a potentially serious viral respiratory infection. Whereas with other viral respiratory infections the symptoms usually are mild and most people can continue working or going to school while ill, with the flu, the symptoms are severe and prolonged and cause individuals to miss days of work or school. The infection stresses the body. In addition, superinfections may occur. Superinfections are bacterial infections that occur on top of a respiratory infection. Bacterial respiratory infections also are a serious type of infection, and the simultaneous viral and bacterial infection can overwhelm the function of the lungs and the body. Among the elderly and the very young, it can cause death. Because of its infectiousness, morbidity (severity of symptoms and time lost from work or school), and the potential for death, it is important to prevent the flu by vaccination. Although there are medications to treat the flu, they are expensive, not as effective as vaccination, and need to be started within 24-48 hours of the start of symptoms.

Return to Flu Vaccine (Flu Shot)

Comment from: Pattimac, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 24

I have had a severe headache for 2 days since taking my flu shot. The frustrating thing is we are mandated to take it at my work place. I'm going to refuse it next year.

Comment from: Suzy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 24

On October 1 I had the flu jab and in a few hours my arm was so stiff and painful I couldn't lift it. For 3 days after I had a fever and just slept. My arm took over a week to get better. From day 4 I was being jolted awake around 4 times a night and hallucinating. This continued for around 4 weeks. It was very frightening. My doctor said he thought I had a very toxic reaction to the jab. This seems to have diminished now but I have tingling all over my body and get very dizzy at times. Some nights I lay awake and my whole body feels alive as every nerve seems to be on edge even my face and mouth. I don't know how long this is going to last. I definitely won't be having any more flu jabs. I have had them for over 10 years but never had any problems before and I haven't got any other health problems.