Flu Vaccine (Flu Shot) - Experience

Please describe your experience with flu shot.

Why vaccinate for the flu?

The flu is highly infectious and is a serious viral respiratory infection. Whereas with other viral respiratory infections the symptoms usually are mild and most people can continue working or going to school while ill, with the flu, the symptoms are severe and prolonged and cause individuals to miss days of work or school. The infection stresses the body. In addition, superinfections may occur. Superinfections are bacterial infections that occur on top of a respiratory infection. Bacterial respiratory infections also are a serious type of infection, and the simultaneous viral and bacterial infection can overwhelm the function of the lungs and the body. Among the elderly and the very young, it can cause death. Because of its infectiousness, morbidity (severity of symptoms and time lost from work or school), and the potential for death, it is important to prevent the flu by vaccination. Although there are medications to treat the flu, they are expensive, not as effective as vaccination, and need to be started within 24-48 hours of the start of symptoms.

Return to Flu Vaccine (Flu Shot)

Comment from: maggie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I got the flu shot (as I do every year) in September 2013. Within one hour of getting the shot I had pain in my left side from my shoulder to my hand. The pain got worse each day. I thought I had a rotator cuff problem, but after an x-ray and an MRI I was diagnosed with bursitis and the beginning of a frozen shoulder. I have been having physical therapy since October 2013 and condition is improving, but I still can"t sleep on my left side and I still do not have full range of motion. This was the first time that I had a flu shot in my upper arm, close to my shoulder.

Comment from: Fern, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 23

Over the past 30 years I may have only had the flu on one or two occasions. Last year I decided to have the flu vaccine for the first time and noted that about two weeks later I came down with severe flu like symptoms necessitating time off from work (I am self-employed). As you cannot contract the flu from the vaccine I put it down to being unlucky. This year I had the vaccine again and again about two weeks later I got sick. Coincident? I have spoken to several other people who have reported similar issue. Is there more to this that needs to be looked at?