Angina - Symptoms

What angina symptoms do you experience?

What are the signs and symptoms of angina?

Classic angina is described as chest pressure that radiates down the arm, into the neck or jaw and is associated with shortness of breath and sweating. However, patients may use different words to describe the pain, including tightness, ache, and fullness. The location may or may not be in the chest; instead it may be described in the upper abdomen, back, arms, shoulder, or neck.

Typical angina symptoms should be made worse with activity and should resolve or get better with rest.

Angina may not have any pain and instead may present as shortness of breath with exercise, malaise, fatigue, or weakness. Patients with diabetes have an altered sensation of pain and may have markedly atypical symptoms. Women may not have the same angina constellation of symptoms as men.

Return to Angina

Comment from: judi, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

My first angina attack was thought to be a heart attack. I had all the symptoms, pain in left arm under arm pit, felt like a ton of bricks on my chest and pain up my neck and into my jaw. Then I rested for about 10 minutes and it all stopped. Blood pressure was high. I went into the hospital had a Lexiscan done. There were no clogged arteries, one very small vein had a little blockage but it wasn't totally blocked. I don't understand it all yet. Now they want me to take beta blockers, I'm not sure I want to take these yet. I want to know more first.

Comment from: mika, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 13

I feel all symptoms of angina; severe chest pain, stiff neck, shortness of breath, headache, numbness of half body including brain, loss of appetite, stomach ache, and getting tired easily.