Angina - Symptoms

What angina symptoms do you experience?

Please select the black square:

What are the signs and symptoms of angina?

Classic angina is described as chest pressure that radiates down the arm, into the neck or jaw and is associated with shortness of breath and sweating. However, patients may use different words to describe the pain, including tightness, ache, and fullness. The location may or may not be in the chest; instead it may be described in the upper abdomen, back, arms, shoulder, or neck.

Typical angina symptoms should be made worse with activity and should resolve or get better with rest.

Angina may not have any pain and instead may present as shortness of breath with exercise, malaise, fatigue, or weakness. Patients with diabetes have an altered sensation of pain and may have markedly atypical symptoms. Women may not have the same angina constellation of symptoms as men.

Return to Angina

Comment from: Diane, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

I have a history of a subarachnoid brain aneurysm bursting 10 years ago, then a larger aneurysm on my brain stem was found after a craniotomy, they couldn't clip the larger one. Since then, I have had 2 stents put in the basilar one. The initial one has many coils in it, and neither is looking odd at the moment. I am suffering from excruciating pain in my right arm, neck, back and chest. I have been to the emergency room, and then sent home. I have more scans scheduled but am concerned about these symptoms being angina.

Comment from: Pwinters, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 03

When I go from rest to any activity including walking, I get pains all over the upper part of my body, more like pressure. I have 5 stents and two coils in my legs. I also lived through an abdominal aorta repair, a triple AAA (abdominal aortic aneurysm). I spent 17 days in the ICU; just happy to be here. I am not too sure what time I have left, but now I'm going to gym all the time and eating better. Good luck to me!