Kidney Stones - Prevention

What prevention measures do you use to avoid getting kidney stones?

Can kidney stones be prevented?

Rather than having to undergo treatment, it is best to avoid kidney stones in the first place when possible. It can be especially helpful to drink more water, since low fluid intake and dehydration are major risk factors for kidney stone formation.

Depending on the cause of the kidney stones and an individual's medical history, changes in the diet or medications are sometimes recommended to decrease the likelihood of developing further kidney stones. If one has passed a stone, it can be particularly helpful to have it analyzed in a laboratory to determine the precise type of stone so specific prevention measures can be considered.

People who have a tendency to form calcium oxalate kidney stones may be advised to limit their consumption of foods high in oxalate, such as spinach, rhubarb, Swiss chard, beets, wheat germ, and peanuts. Also drinking lemon juice or lemonade may be helpful in preventing kidney stones.

Return to Kidney Stones

Comment from: Jimmy T, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 27

I have been having kidney stones since 1986. This was when lithotripsy was first developed. My insurance would not pay the $15,000 cost. So, I had to have surgery to have the large stone removed. Since 1986 I have had over 40 stones. Lithotripsy has only worked 2 out of 40. Laser has been the most successful treatment to rid me of the stone. My stones are calcium and hard and large. Dilaudid seems to work the best in controlling the pain. Good Luck.

Comment from: Stoner :-), 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 29

I form uric acid stones. I have taken allopurinol for 7 years. Together with drinking 4 liters of water a day, I have reduced the rate of my stones from one every 3/4 months to less than one a year. I have flank pain today though so I know there is another on the move. I've taken anti-inflammatories and will increase my fluid intake to move it. No doubt it'll choose to move in the early hours of the morning as usual. I work in cancer research and I am just glad that the worst health problem I have is kidney stones.