Kidney Stones - Symptoms

What were the symptoms and signs of your kidney stone?

What are the signs and symptoms of kidney stones?

While some kidney stones may not produce symptoms (known as "silent" stones), people who have kidney stones often report the sudden onset of excruciating, cramping pain in their low back and/or side, groin, or abdomen. Changes in body position do not relieve this pain. The abdominal, groin, and/or back pain typically waxes and wanes in severity, characteristic of colicky pain (the pain is sometimes referred to as renal colic). It may be so severe that it is often accompanied by nausea and vomiting. The pain has been described by many as the worst pain of their lives, even worse than the pain of childbirth or broken bones. Kidney stones also characteristically cause bloody urine. If infection is present in the urinary tract along with the stones, there may be fever and chills. Sometimes, symptoms such as difficulty urinating, urinary urgency, penile pain, or testicular pain may occur due to kidney stones.

Return to Kidney Stones

Comment from: Ruba, Female (Patient) Published: February 19

I did suffer from kidney stone six years back. It is worse than the labor pain. This is my second experience. It is excruciating. With vomiting and pain I was with a hot water bottle on my lower back and was rushed to the emergency room. The doctors and nurses treated and helped me to recover from the pain. CT scan was taken. They found the stone in my left kidney. My thanks to the doctors and nurses.

Comment from: Aki, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 08

I was awakened by pain under the left side of my ribcage. It was a steady ache, about a level 3, with jolts of stabbing pain whenever I'd move the wrong way, or when the bus hit a bump on the way to the hospital. I had no urinary symptoms or fever, so I thought it was just trapped gas until it kept me up through 6 am. I'm glad I went to the emergency room; they gave me oxycodone and the first kidney stone passed relatively painlessly. They wrote me a prescription for oxycodone, and sent me home, where I'm waiting to pass the second one. Longest day ever.