Kidney Stones - Symptoms

What were the symptoms and signs of your kidney stone?

Please select the black triangle:

What are the signs and symptoms of kidney stones?

While some kidney stones may not produce symptoms (known as "silent" stones), people who have kidney stones often report the sudden onset of excruciating, cramping pain in their low back and/or side, groin, or abdomen. Changes in body position do not relieve this pain. The abdominal, groin, and/or back pain typically waxes and wanes in severity, characteristic of colicky pain (the pain is sometimes referred to as renal colic). It may be so severe that it is often accompanied by nausea and vomiting. The pain has been described by many as the worst pain of their lives, even worse than the pain of childbirth or broken bones. Kidney stones also characteristically cause bloody urine. If infection is present in the urinary tract along with the stones, there may be fever and chills. Sometimes, symptoms such as difficulty urinating, urinary urgency, penile pain, or testicular pain may occur due to kidney stones.

Return to Kidney Stones

Comment from: Kole123, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 28

This is January 26, 2016. On July 20, 2015 I started having pains in right lower side and thought I had appendicitis. I went to the emergency room. It wasn't. Side and back are still killing me. I did have 2 small stones in my kidneys. They have done test and can't find anything. They did do exploratory surgery and found colon stuck to bladder, and scar tissue. Every morning I get up, I go urinate and start carrying fever and chills. I am at my wits' end. It's been so long I just wondering if stones can go this long. Pains seem to be getting worse.

Comment from: Charlotte, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

I hope I never again get kidney stones. The pain began on the left side all around the kidney area. I knew this wasn't a pain I had experienced before. It wasn't long before the pain became horrendous. I was violently sick and was also experiencing tummy cramps. TO cut a long story short the pain was excruciating, I couldn't walk, stand sit or lie, I just wanted to die. An ambulance was called, and after having some wonderful nitrous oxide I was able to get to the sofa. I have given birth naturally twice and this was right up there on the agony scale. The CT scan showed that the stone was at the junction of the bladder and urethra. This happened yesterday 9th February, but I still haven't passed it. All I can say is thank goodness for gas and air, morphine and rectal Voltarol suppositories.