Medical Shock - Experience

Not ready to share? Read other Patient Comments

Please describe your experience with medical shock.

Share your story with others:

MedicineNet appreciates your comment. Your comment may be displayed on the site and will always be published anonymously.Patient Comments FAQs

Enter your Comment

Tell us a bit about your background to make your comments more useful to other MedicineNet users. (Optional)

Screen Name: *

Gender of Patient: Male Female

Age Range of Patient:

I am a: Patient Caregiver

* Screen Name will appear next to the published comment. Please do not include your full name or email address.

By submitting your comment, and other materials (collectively referred to as a "Submission") to MedicineNet, you grant MedicineNet permission to use, copy, transmit, publish, display, edit and modify your Submission in connection with its Web site. MedicineNet will not pay you for your Submission. You represent that you have all rights necessary for MedicineNet to use your Submission as set forth above.

Please keep these guidelines in mind when writing your comment:

  • Please make sure you address the question asked.
  • Due to the overwhelming number of comments received, not all comments will be published.
  • When selecting comments to publish, our staff will choose those that are educational and complement the topic. Please try to stay on topic.
  • Your comment may be edited. We would typically edit comments to make them clearer and more readable. We will remove personal information such as last names, email and web addresses, and other potentially harmful information.
  • We will not notify you if your comment has been published. We suggest that you check back on the topic article regularly.
  • We do not provide medical or healthcare advice, treatment, or diagnosis.

Thank you for participating!

I have read and agree to abide by the MedicineNet Terms and Conditions and the MedicineNet Privacy Policy (required).

To prevent our systems from spam, please complete the following prior to submitting your comment.

Please select the black square:

Shock facts

  • Shock is a life-threatening medical condition and is a medical emergency. If shock is suspected call 911 or get to an emergency department immediately.
  • The main symptom of shock is low blood pressure. Other symptoms include rapid, shallow breathing; cold, clammy skin; rapid, weak pulse; dizziness, fainting, or weakness.
  • There are several types of shock: septic shock caused by bacteria, anaphylactic shock caused by hypersensitivity or allergic reaction, cardiogenic shock from heart damage, hypovolemic shock from blood or fluid loss, and neurogenic shock from spinal cord trauma.
  • Treatment for shock depends on the cause. Tests will determine the cause and severity. Usually IV fluids are administered in addition to medications that raise blood pressure.
    • Septic shock is treated with antibiotics and fluids.
    • Anaphylactic shock is treated with diphenhydramine (Benadryl), epinephrine (an "Epi-pen"), and steroid medications (solu-medrol).
    • Cardiogenic shock is treated by identifying and treating the underlying cause.
    • Hypovolemic shock is treated with fluids (saline) in minor cases, and blood transfusions in severe cases.
    • Neurogenic shock is the most difficult to treat as spinal cord damage is often irreversible. Immobilization, anti-inflammatories such as steroids and surgery are the main treatments.
  • Shock prevention includes learning ways to prevent heart disease, injuries, dehydration and other causes of shock.
Return to Shock (Medical)

See what others are saying

Comment from: needsadvice, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

I have gone onto shock a few times from cuts and such things but always recovered fast. Recently though I have gone into shock from I believe almost having a heatstroke. I always get dizzy, light headed and confused but the worst part is I lose my sight. Everything goes gray and then it's like my body shuts down but I can still think. Four days ago while out hiking I fell about five feet onto a pile of rocks and cement. My first thought from how bad the pain was that I broke my back and my left leg. I was pulled out by a friend and stood up on one foot and was talking to him but soon I lost my sight, everything went gray, and then I started slumping down while I was sweating horribly. I was picked up and carried out, after thinking these are my last thoughts before I die I finally felt a cool breeze and started to see in all gray again then finally color. I want to know how I can prevent myself from going into shock. I also have anxiety which I've heard can cause shock.

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: Yicks123, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 09

When I go into a medical shock, I feel my blood pressure drop and then I get a severe headache, with chest pains and then I start off and in my vision I see a big continuous white light. My nose gets swollen and it feel like my brain acts it can't breathe, my chest feels heavy as if there is pressure pushing down, I have lightheadedness, and mostly things go black. I also have veiny-like rash on my arms and legs, my left side of my face gets numb. Afterwards my feet get swollen and toes turn red and/or feet get cold with blue toe nails. Throughout the day my body spasms and in the feet pull my joints out of place. Pulse is 52.

Was this comment helpful?Yes


Get the latest health and medical information delivered direct to your inbox!