Eyelid Surgery - Complications

Did you experience any complications after eyelid surgery?

What are the potential risks and complications of eyelid surgery?

As with any surgery, there are potential risks and complications of blepharoplasty. These risks include infection, bleeding, scarring, inability to close the eyes, dry eye, abnormal eyelid position, double vision, and loss of vision.

Return to Blepharoplasty (Eyelid Surgery)

Comment from: NJFRiend, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

I recently had lower eyelid surgery and a thread lift of mid face. I woke up with tubular swelling below sack of eyes, look like a football player with black marks on cheek. Face feels like something swollen on upper cheeks too. Looks worse now than before and it is almost 2 weeks!

Comment from: sallie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 03

I had upper and lower eye lid surgery 2 weeks ago. I was told to put Neosporin on stitches for several days. Apparently I had a reaction to the Neosporin causing chemosis in both eyes to the point that both eyeballs looked as if they were covered in huge clear blisters. The pain was terrible and I could not see. The doctor prescribed steroid and antibiotic drops and gel and within a few days my eyes were healing again. Still blurry, itchy and dry but healing. I am hoping it will be worth it in the end. One more thing. I cannot take narcotic pain medications so all of this was managed with ice and Tylenol. I consider myself strong but this was really tough!