Eyelid Surgery - Recovery

Please describe your experience with recovery after eyelid surgery.

Please select the black square:

How long does it take to recover from eyelid surgery?

Usually patients have a short recovery time after blepharoplasty. Although bruising and swelling is usually worse on the day after surgery, they quickly begin to disappear. During the first 48 hours the use of cool compresses can greatly reduce bruising and swelling around the eyes and face. Light activity such as walking will also help speed healing. Thin bandages are usually placed over the incision sites and removed in several days, while the stitches can remain in the skin for about a week. Sometimes self-absorbing stitches are used that do not require removal.

Most people return to normal activities after 7 to 10 days following blepharoplasty. By 2 weeks after eyelid surgery, the majority of the bruising and swelling will resolve.

Return to Blepharoplasty (Eyelid Surgery)

Comment from: Modeling, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 30

I am on the 6th day post operation and due to have stitches removed. That should feel better as they are now feeling tight. My eyes still very swollen but I have not had to use pain relief since the day of the operation. I think that given another week the swelling and bruising should be gone, I am just using sun glasses when out and about and larger reading glasses at work. The secret is keeping them clean and using ointment and ice packs wrapped in clean flannels.

Comment from: Barbie, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: April 16

I had eyelid surgery 6 weeks ago. One eye looks great. The other one is drooping badly; left one had the problem drooping and it was a success. The right lid didn"t need anything, but surgeon did surgery on it anyway. It looks worse now than before surgery. I have an appointment tomorrow with the surgeon and I have pictures too they I have taken. I had no pain since Friday, but had terrible bruising and swelling. My right is twitching, jumping, and has given me problems since surgery.

Stay Informed!