Frostbite - Experience

What was your experience with frostbite?

Introduction to frostbite and cold weather-related injuries

Winter cold and snow provide a number of opportunities to get outside and participate in activities such as skiing, sledding, and snowmobiling. However, without proper protection, cold weather-related injuries can occur even when temperatures are above freezing (32 F, 0 C). This is especially true if there are high winds or if clothing is wet. In general, however, it is both the temperature and the duration of exposure that play a role in determining the extent and severity of cold weather-related injuries. This information describes the different types of cold weather-related injuries, as well as what to do to prevent and treat them prior to reaching a health care practitioner.

Return to Frostbite (Cold Weather-Related Injuries)

Comment from: fritzilou, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 01

I self diagnosed Chilblains after a visit to NYC the week of February 15. While waiting at the airport a few days later, I began to feel that I was getting a cold. My nose ran profusely and continuously for 12 hours. The next morning, what had appeared to be a cold, was gone and my body was covered with splotches. The itching and burning was severe and has gradually diminished over the next four days. I used Purel itch cream constantly and had difficulty sleeping, because of the itching and burning. Today is the fourth day and most of the itching is gone. I still have the splotches, but most are diminishing. One area most severe was at the shins. The color of the splotches are deep to light raspberry.

Comment from: Diane, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 06

My sister was frost bitten. She was found lying on her back with her eyes wide open and unconscious for two and half hours. Her left leg was badly frost bitten. She has nerve damage in both legs and feet. At least her left knee is slowly healing. This has been the worst.