Strep Throat - Contagious

Did you catch strep throat from someone else? Did you give strep throat to someone?

Is strep throat contagious?

Strep throat is contagious most commonly via direct person-to-person contact. Passage of airborne droplets and/or saliva from the infected individual to another is the most likely mechanism of contracting strep throat. As such, close living quarters (home, classroom, day care centers, college dorms, etc.) provide an ideal environment for passage of GAS bacteria from one person to another. The risk of contracting a strep throat infection is approximately 40% in household environments. Most infectious disease specialists believe that a patient is no longer contagious after 24 hours of effective antibiotic therapy. Spread of strep bacteria via food borne transmission is less common than direct person-to-person exchange of droplets or saliva. The exact likelihood of developing strep throat from family pets is unknown, but most experts believe it is minimal.

Return to Strep Throat

Comment from: Bluecrayon, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

I work at a daycare, had a child in my class whose sister had strep. Three days later I woke up with a sore throat. I had swollen glands and white spots in the back of my throat. I called for a doctor's appointment, there wasn't anything available for the next 3 days so I went to an urgent care center. Sure enough the strep test came back positive. They caught it early. I've been on antibiotics for 24 hours. I currently have a sore throat that's painful to swallow, killer headache and body aches.