Strep Throat - Experience

Please describe your experience with strep throat.

Please select the white circle:

What is strep throat and what causes strep throat?

Strep throat is a bacterial infection of the soft palate and tonsillar region. Microbiologists identify the member of the Streptococcus bacterial family that causes strep throat as "GAS" (Group A, beta hemolytic, Streptococcus pyogenes). Strep throat is most common in young children and adolescents, but it is not unusual in toddlers and adults. It is highly contagious and it is present most commonly in the community during the winter months. Interestingly, the symptoms and physical signs may vary depending upon the age of the infected patient.

Return to Strep Throat

Comment from: mrsgenge, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 23

The pain of strep throat is excruciating. First of all, you generate an awful lot of saliva. When I swallow, it literally feels like the back of my throat is catching on itself and like my tonsils get stuck mid-swallow. The pain that you have with strep throat is unlike anything else. It's like, when you swallow, there is this sharp object stuck in the back of your throat. The back of your throat drags over this sharp object, and has both an aching and stinging sensation. My two daughters have both had strep throat. They have been known to feign sickness just so they can get out of school. Nowadays, if they are genuinely warm and they say their throats hurt, I will believe them. What a ghastly, putrid condition.

Comment from: LadyContagious, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 14

During my life, I have had strep throat or tonsillitis too many times to count. Tonight I went to the emergency room. My throat felt like hot needles were sticking in it. I have been having a fever on and off. Only Tylenol brings it down for a few hours. Since I had a cough, the nurse kept saying, I think it is a virus. Luckily, the doctor saw the numerous pus pockets all over my tonsils and ordered testing. After a very long wait, it came back positive for strep. Some people do have a cough with strep. I knew when my fever had been going up to near 103 for 24 hours that it could possibly be strep. You know your body better than anyone. Sometimes you have to be adamant, because not every patient is textbook. I will be so glad when it is over. Being around kids, especially when they are sick is not the best thing. You want to hug and love them when they feel bad, but sometimes you pay for it later. But they are worth it.