Strep Throat - Experience

Please describe your experience with strep throat.

Please select the black triangle:

What is strep throat and what causes strep thoat?

Strep throat is a bacterial infection of the soft palate and tonsillar region. Microbiologists specifically identify the member of the Streptococcus bacterial family that causes strep throat as "GAS" (Group A, beta hemolytic, streptococcus pyogenes). Strep throat is most common in young children and adolescents, but it is not unusual in toddlers and adults. It is highly contagious and it is present most commonly in the community during the winter months. Interestingly, the symptoms and physical signs may vary depending upon the age of the infected patient.

Return to Strep Throat

Comment from: Pascale, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

My strep throat has been very painful... all over the body but mostly the throat, and fever. I"m only eating liquid such has apple sauce, yoghurt, honey, Lipton soup and lots of water. And after a visit to the doctor I"m on penicillin.

Comment from: Michelle, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I have not had strep throat since I was a teenager. I'm 50 now. My experience was, rapid onset of a scratchy throat, dry cough, body aches, fevers chills and a terrible headache. I felt terrible and temperature kept climbing despite taking aspirin and Motrin. My doctor's office was closed because of Christmas. When my temperature spiked 102.4 I found an urgent care since I knew it was the flu, but it was strep throat with positive rapid strep test. I was placed on antibiotics etc. Finally was able to sleep for more than 1 hour! It's been 9 hours since I started the antibiotics, Tylenol and Mucinex and I slept 7 hours and my headache is gone and I can breathe through my nose again.