Strep Throat - Experience

Please describe your experience with strep throat.

What is strep throat and what causes strep throat?

Strep throat is a bacterial infection of the soft palate and tonsillar region. Microbiologists identify the member of the Streptococcus bacterial family that causes strep throat as "GAS" (Group A, beta hemolytic, Streptococcus pyogenes). Strep throat is most common in young children and adolescents, but it is not unusual in toddlers and adults. It is highly contagious and it is present most commonly in the community during the winter months. Interestingly, the symptoms and physical signs may vary depending upon the age of the infected patient.

Return to Strep Throat

Comment from: Nursing Student 2015, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

I had strep throat twice when I was 11 and attending public school. My symptoms were sore throat along with red spots on my soft and hard palate, and low grade fever. Now, at 22 the symptoms I had was coughing, swollen lymph nodes, headache and low fever of 101.3. My brother had the same symptoms and checked out for strep throat. I knew I had the same thing. It's crazy how much your body changes over the years. Yet you still feel lousy.

Comment from: mrsgenge, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 23

The pain of strep throat is excruciating. First of all, you generate an awful lot of saliva. When I swallow, it literally feels like the back of my throat is catching on itself and like my tonsils get stuck mid-swallow. The pain that you have with strep throat is unlike anything else. It's like, when you swallow, there is this sharp object stuck in the back of your throat. The back of your throat drags over this sharp object, and has both an aching and stinging sensation. My two daughters have both had strep throat. They have been known to feign sickness just so they can get out of school. Nowadays, if they are genuinely warm and they say their throats hurt, I will believe them. What a ghastly, putrid condition.