Stroke - Symptoms

What stroke symptoms did you experience?

Please select the black square:

What are the symptoms of a stroke?

Symptoms of stroke depend upon where the brain function has stopped due to loss of its blood supply. Often, the patient may present with multiple symptoms including the following:

• Acute change in level of consciousness or confusion
  • Acute onset of weakness or paralysis of half or part of the body
  • Numbness of one half of the body
  • Partial vision loss
  • Double vision
  • Difficulty speaking or understanding speech
  • Difficulty with balance and vertigo

The symptoms of ischemic and hemorrhagic stroke may be the same but patients with hemorrhagic stroke may also complain more of headache and vomiting.

Return to Stroke

Comment from: margaret, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

I was out the day before with my family, it was a hot day and I had to buy a hat, for the sun was hot. The next morning I sat at the side of my bed and my mind went totally blank for a second I think. I started choking and my daughter asked me what was wrong. I could not respond properly and was thinking, she should just give me a minute. She said," Mom, we are calling 911, I think you are having a stroke!" She later told me my mouth was funny and I had slurred speech. I had a TIA (transient ischemic attack). My whole life changed, my outlook changed, now three years later I still have left sided weakness, I do Tai Chi 4 times a week, but have lots of hip pain from my osteoporosis. I am still thankful for my daughter being there and knowing what to do. Had I been home by myself, I may not be writing this today! Otherwise I am in great health.

Comment from: Kmack327, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

One week prior, I was very weak and jut needed to sit down most of the time. I could almost feel a different kind of blood flow to my head and also experienced vomiting. The night I had multiple strokes on left brain I thought I had a migraine and took Imitrex.