Stroke - Symptoms

What stroke symptoms did you experience?

What are the symptoms of a stroke?

Symptoms of stroke depend upon where the brain function has stopped due to loss of its blood supply. Often, the patient may present with multiple symptoms including the following:

• Acute change in level of consciousness or confusion
  • Acute onset of weakness or paralysis of half or part of the body
  • Numbness of one half of the body
  • Partial vision loss
  • Double vision
  • Difficulty speaking or understanding speech
  • Difficulty with balance and vertigo

The symptoms of ischemic and hemorrhagic stroke may be the same but patients with hemorrhagic stroke may also complain more of headache and vomiting.

Return to Stroke

Comment from: HeyJude, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 18

I was at home, sitting on the couch when I began to feel a sensation across my upper lip. A little later that area became numb. I waited too long to go to the emergency room. Four hours passed until it hit me that this was getting worse. I was hospitalized for 18 days.

Comment from: g'ma, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 12

I was receiving chemotherapy for the 3rd round. About 3/4th of the way through I got very hot, water running down my head. I got very weak on my right side but had all thought processes. When trying to speak with anybody it sounded like 'marble mouth'. Very scary. Doctor thinks chemotherapy might have triggered the stroke.