Microscopic Colitis - Prognosis

What is the prognosis for your case of microscopic colitis?

What is the prognosis of microscopic colitis?

The long term prognosis (course) of microscopic colitis is not clear. In approximately two-thirds of the patients with microscopic colitis, the diarrhea resolves spontaneously after several years. The remaining one-third of the patients with microscopic colitis experience persistent or intermittent diarrhea and/or abdominal pain for many years (possibly indefinitely) as there is no cure for the condition.

Return to Microscopic Colitis (Lymphocytic Colitis and Collagenous Colitis)

Comment from: J, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 21

Diarrhea started at 46. I thought it was from stress. I had colonoscopy and was told I had IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) and prescribed antidepressants. At 52 I had another colonoscopy and was diagnosed with microscopic colitis. I was prescribed Asacol, no help, then prescribed budesonide. I finally had normal bowel movement, but medicine made me feel tired and depressed plus I got a bad yeast rash. The diarrhea returned 1 week after stopping, I am thinking about taking budesonide again even though side effects were bad, diarrhea is worse! Pepto helps slow things down, I'm really getting sick of this! I hope it goes away soon.

Comment from: ansels2, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

I have had microscopic colitis for 15 years now. For the first few years (5 or 6) I was able to manage it on a GF (gluten free) diet. Now it's like I am allergic to food, period! This disease is a death sentence for many people. We get thinner and thinner and the doctors just keep you on budesonide, etc., asking you to try and wean. This is an impossible task. Unless you want to stay in the house constantly. Which I would, and have, in order to wean off, but it doesn"t do any good. The quality of our lives just sucks, plain and simple. This should be researched seriously! No research is going on with it. I feel so alone. No support groups, etc. I could go on and on when you cannot eat, guess what? You just wither away and die! Plain and simple.