Microscopic Colitis - Prognosis

What is the prognosis for your case of microscopic colitis?

What is the prognosis of microscopic colitis?

The long term prognosis (course) of microscopic colitis is not clear. In approximately two-thirds of the patients with microscopic colitis, the diarrhea resolves spontaneously after several years. The remaining one-third of the patients with microscopic colitis experience persistent or intermittent diarrhea and/or abdominal pain for many years (possibly indefinitely) as there is no cure for the condition.

Return to Microscopic Colitis (Lymphocytic Colitis and Collagenous Colitis)

Comment from: Pike patient, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 04

One month ago, through biopsies taken from colonoscopy I was diagnosed with microscopic colitis. My gastroenterologist guaranteed me that the steroid Uceris once a day for three months would cure this disease. I hope he's right. It has been one month. I have had such terrible pain frontal pain where ovaries would be (I have none.) and lower back. I've heard from some including my primary doctor that a gluten free diet would also help. I have no more diarrhea, on the contrary I am mostly constipated, and perhaps this is what is causing the pain.

Comment from: Chained to bedpan, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 04

At age 50, after 30 plus years of reporting diarrhea and bouts of extreme weakness and fainting, to doctors, one did a simple blood test. Then I had a colonoscopy to confirm celiac sprue. Small intestine all but eaten away by own immune system, villi gone, flat land. Eating, but starving. I was also diagnosed with collagenous colitis, sometimes associated with celiac. Five years of gluten free diet has improved nutritional uptake. Colitis has stolen my life. Analogy: use a small balloon, fill 1/3 with soda (Coke or Pepsi will do), now shake vigorously, hold the opening down and try to let the ever increasing pressurized gas out without making a terrible mess. Attacks are frequent, 10 to 30 plus times/24hrs. Sleep is interrupted every 1 to 4 hrs. Avoid fibrous foods, they promote gas production. Entocort has improved things approximately 10 to 15%. It has cut down on the mucus, associated with the cramping. It is hard to remain positive when sleep deprived. Wearing a bag is an option, but I'm not ready for that yet.