Breast Cancer - Treatment

What kind of treatment did you have for breast cancer?

Please select the black triangle:

What is the treatment for breast cancer?

Treatment for breast cancer is individualized and is based upon many factors. Your health care team will help you make the choice that is best for you. In general, treatment decisions typically depend upon many factors, including the following:

• The type of cancer that is present
  • The stage of the tumor
  • Whether or not the tumor expresses ER, PR, and/or HER2
  • A woman's age (whether or not she has had menopause) and overall health
  • A woman's preferences
  • The results of specialized testing performed on the tumor, such as gene expression

Treatment may include a combination of surgery, radiation therapy, hormone therapy, chemotherapy, and targeted therapy. A woman may also elect to participate in a clinical trial or newer treatments.

Return to Breast Cancer

Comment from: BJ, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 22

I had mastectomy of the left breast and 18 lymph nodes removed (16 positive). I had chemotherapy and radiation and I am currently on Arimidex.

Comment from: sherl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

I"m a 2 times breast cancer patient. I was in remission for 15 years. In 2009 I had a radical mastectomy. Fifteen lymph nodes were removed and reconstructive surgery done, and 8 rounds of chemotherapy. The chemotherapy saved my life. I was diagnosed with carcinoma from a needle biopsy. Having early intervention and early treatment can save lives.