Breast Cancer - Stages

What stage was your breast cancer when you were diagnosed?

What are the stages of breast cancer?

Staging of a cancer refers to the determination of how far the tumor has spread at the time of diagnosis. Staging helps determine a woman's treatment plan. Staging is determined by a variety of methods including results from surgical procedures, lymph node biopsy, and imaging tests.

Cancer in situ (DCIS or LCIS) is referred to as stage 0, because the tumor cells have not even begun to spread outside the ducts or lobules into the adjacent breast tissue. Invasive breast cancers are stages along a scale of I to IV, with stage I being the earliest stage and stage IV representing tumors that have metastasized to distant organs like the bones, lungs, or brain.

Return to Breast Cancer

Comment from: Sherry, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

My breast cancer was diagnosed as stage 1 triple negative.

Comment from: PAULA, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 02

My breast cancer was diagnosed as stage 1 invasive cancer. There was no sentinel lymph gland cancer. Treatment was lumpectomy plus 2 lymph nodes removed for testing. I had radiation for 5 weeks within 2 months of surgery. Pill therapy was discussed and tried; however I had body aches and discontinued them. I will have one year mammogram soon. I do have routine blood work for oncologist's review.