Peyronie's Disease - Causes

If known, what was the cause of your case of Peyronie's disease?

Please select the white circle:

What causes Peyronie's disease?

The exact cause of Peyronie's disease is not known. However, whatever can cause plaque or scar formation in the penile shaft is a likely causal candidate. Researchers have suggested several possible agents such as vitamin E deficiency, beta-blocking medications, elevations in serotonin, and genetic causes. Some researchers think that minor vascular traumas to the penis (during sex or athletic endeavors) that may reoccur over time may lead to scar formation. None of these possible agents or processes is proven to be the cause to date.

Return to Peyronie's Disease (Curvature of the Penis)

Comment from: Vern, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: October 15

I was having sex about 7 years ago when I bent my penis, ouch! I thought I broke something, but I was just bruised. Now I've been diagnosed with Peyronie's.

Comment from: Bill, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 15

Mine was caused by rough sex, my penis came out while she was on top and my penis hit her tailbone, causing a sharp pain. About two weeks later, I started to feel a hardening around my penis, this is from scar tissue inside the penis.