Peyronie's Disease - Experience

Please describe your experience with Peyronie's disease.

What is Peyronie's disease?

Peyronie's disease (also termed Peyronie disease) is the development of scar tissue inside the penis that causes the penis to develop abnormal curvature (contracture) in the scarred area. The disease may occur in about 1% to 8% of men, most frequently in men aged about 40 to 70 years old. The disease also may occur more frequently with men that develop:

• prostate cancer,
  • high blood pressure (hypertension), and
  • diabetes.

It occasionally can occur in younger men.

Return to Peyronie's Disease (Curvature of the Penis)

Comment from: Duckaller, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 25

My consultant suggested Peyronie's disease was caused by vigorous sex which I feel is nonsense. I had a rather pronounced curve of my penal shaft which never really bothered me or stopped me from enjoying normal intercourse. However, I recall very well, occasions whilst having intercourse that my penis despite being very erect, sort of partially kinked I felt it distinctly, and thought I had better be careful in the future, but too late I fear! The damage had been done and the traumatized area I believe attracts scarring and hence the formation of plaques. Nothing to do with vigorous sex, or unusual sexual habits just a predisposition if you happen to have a bendy one so be careful out there. Nobody told me it would be so naggingly painful either.

Comment from: Dogfart, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 27

I had what I consider a normal yet really good sex life with my 2nd wife. We met when I was 43 and the sex was very intimate and intense. On my 46th birthday, I woke up with my left leg swollen like a balloon. I went to the emergency room and found I had developed a deep vein thrombosis (blood clot). Further tests indicated that I may have had lung cancer also. After surgery they ruled out lung cancer and said it was something called sarcoidosis. At almost the same point I wound up with severe erectile dysfunction, and a painful severe left bend near the head of my penis. It literally makes a 90 degree bend just before the head. Over the last 3 years, the bend became slightly better but not by much. My wife and I can't have intercourse anymore because of my Peyronie's disease and have to rely on other avenues to please each other. Thankfully we have a strong love for one another. My doctors have not been much help so far. It's discouraging.