Hemorrhoids - Home Remedies

What home remedies have been effective for your hemorrhoids?

OTC medications and home remedies for hemorrhoids

Grade 1 hemorrhoids are treated symptomatically. There can be some spasm of the anal muscles. Warm sitz baths, sitting in a warm tub for 20 minutes, two or three times a day may be helpful. Avoiding spicy food may also prevent anal itching. Over-the-counter medications may be helpful.

• Medications are used to control symptoms by softening the stool, decreasing the inflammation of the hemorrhoids and treating the pain.
  • Stool softeners work by increasing the water and fat content within the stool allowing it to be passed more easily. Docusate sodium is most often recommended drug in this class (Colace, Surfak, Correctal).
  • Inflammation can be controlled with over-the-counter creams or suppositories. Some brand ingredients (Preparation H) include low dose topical anesthetics to help with symptoms. Others (Anusol, witch hazel) contain astringents that help shrink the swollen tissues. Both may contain low dose steroids (hydrocortisone) to decrease inflammation. People with diabetes should check with their pharmacist or health care professional before using OTC hemorrhoid treatments. If the medication contains a vasoconstrictor (for example, phenylephrine HCI, ephedrine, or epinephrine) it may elevate blood sugar levels if absorbed in large amounts.
  • Prescription strength lidocaine or hydrocortisone may be offered by the health care professional.
Return to Hemorrhoids

Comment from: Hemorrhoid treated, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: May 17

I had hemorrhoid, I went to the doctors, and they advised for surgery. Later one of our relatives informed me that it can be cured without surgery. I consulted that clinic. They give me pain killer injection and they put some medicine and tied the hemorrhoids. In a day or two when I went to the toilet hemorrhoids fell off, and later day by day pain reduced and it healed. It has been 2 years now and till now no issues with me. I suffered a lot so thought let me share. Applying coconut oil helps you.

Comment from: G, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 16

After suffering from bleeding hemorrhoids for years and trying cortisone creams and other prescriptions, I noticed on a recent trip to Costa Rica that my symptoms disappeared over the week that I was there and returned when I got home. Knowing that hot humid weather actually contributes to making my condition worse, I figured that simply swimming in the ocean ever day was the only thing that made sense as to why the condition abated during the vacation. I recently went to the dollar store and bought a cheap spray bottle and filled it with water then added salt to the water until it no longer dissolved (a fully saturated salt solution). When I take a shower, the last thing I do is spray myself with the salt solution, directly on the area of concern, but I don't rinse it off, leaving the area with a salt solution that eventually evaporates, leaving a salt residue that seems to cure me all day long. Nothing has worked this well and I no longer suffer from hemorrhoids, bleeding, stinging, etc. I can now walk a round of 18 holes on the golf course without that building friction that makes the last 5 holes a real pain in the backside. And what can be cheaper than salt and water, with no need for smearing messy creams on areas that are not considered to be a joy to touch. Once the spray hits the area, I can feel immediate relief if I've skipped a few days without treatment.