Stool Color Changes - Experience

Please describe your experience with stool color changes. What was the diagnosis?

Please select the white circle:

Definition of stool color changes

It is reasonable to have an obsession with one's bowel movements. The quality, quantity and color of stool may be an indicator of gastrointestinal system's health and should the stool change color, it may provide a clue as to what might be wrong.

Stool, feces, or poop is the waste product of digestion. Food mixes with bile from the liver and digestive enzymes from the pancreas allowing protein, carbohydrates, and fats in the diet to be broken down to form a slurry. This liquid mixture passes through the small intestine where nutrients are absorbed into the blood stream and the liquid waste is delivered to the colon. In the colon, water is absorbed and stool is formed. Normal stool contains bacteria, digested food, cellulose from undigested plant material, and bile.

Normal stool color can range from light brown to dark brown to green. Often the color of stool is affected by what has been eaten, and may not signify any potential illness or disease. However, it is possible that the color of the stool can provide important clues to an underlying disease.

Return to Stool Color Changes

Comment from: pmhoal, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 01

One in early morning the stool was dark black with lots blood. I got severe weakness and head was reeling. I visited consultant (surgeon) and after CT scan large diverticulum was observed. Today i am weak, but have no symptoms.

Comment from: plautz8, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 17

Four Months ago I started feeling nauseous after eating. I was bloated and felt like throwing up which I did an hour after eating. I became very weak and felt like passing out. This kept happening for another week. Within 4 hours of eating I would have a diarrhea bowel movement and the stool would be greenish. Sometimes it would just be loose stool but in the last 4 months I no longer feel hungry. Maybe because I am always bloated after eating. It doesn"t matter what I eat, the results are the same. I went to the emergency room one night and they checked my heart, did blood samples and found nothing. I saw the doctor about 6 times and they also did stool tests, blood work, thyroid tests, and found no virus or bacteria. Everything came back negative. Next, the doctor wants to do a colon scope and an endoscopy of the stomach. Since it is the intestines, I will do that test but I don"t want a tube put down my throat into my stomach. I constantly feel cramps and pains in the intestines especially after eating. Now it is usually the next day before diarrhea after eating and the stool is still green.