Stool Color Changes - Color and Experience

What color, texture, or smell; is or was your stool when it changed? Please share your experience.

Stool color, texture, and form changes facts

• The normal stool (poop, feces) usually is light to dark brown.
  • Although changes in stool color or texture may be normal, most changes should be evaluated.
  • The symptoms associated with stool color changes, if any, are the symptoms of the underlying cause cause of the change, for example, foods, drinks, conditions, or illnesses such as
    • diet (beets, diets rich in green vegetables, licorice),
    • gallbladder disease,
    • celiac disease,
    • ulcerative colitis,
    • Crohn's disease,
    • tumors,
    • diverticular disease,
    • cancers, or
    • hemorrhoids.
  • Changes in stool color may be due to diarrhea; bleeding in the intestine; diseases of the intestines, liver, or pancreas; and medications
  • Diagnosis when stool color changes depends on what process is suspected of causing the change, for example, gastrointestinal (GI) endoscopy if bleeding is supsected.
  • The treatment for stool color changes is to treat the underlying cause.
Return to Stool Color Changes in Color, Texture, and Form

Comment from: pmhoal, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 01

One in early morning the stool was dark black with lots blood. I got severe weakness and head was reeling. I visited consultant (surgeon) and after CT scan large diverticulum was observed. Today i am weak, but have no symptoms.

Comment from: plautz8, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 17

Four Months ago I started feeling nauseous after eating. I was bloated and felt like throwing up which I did an hour after eating. I became very weak and felt like passing out. This kept happening for another week. Within 4 hours of eating I would have a diarrhea bowel movement and the stool would be greenish. Sometimes it would just be loose stool but in the last 4 months I no longer feel hungry. Maybe because I am always bloated after eating. It doesn"t matter what I eat, the results are the same. I went to the emergency room one night and they checked my heart, did blood samples and found nothing. I saw the doctor about 6 times and they also did stool tests, blood work, thyroid tests, and found no virus or bacteria. Everything came back negative. Next, the doctor wants to do a colon scope and an endoscopy of the stomach. Since it is the intestines, I will do that test but I don"t want a tube put down my throat into my stomach. I constantly feel cramps and pains in the intestines especially after eating. Now it is usually the next day before diarrhea after eating and the stool is still green.