Low Testosterone (Low T) - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience when your testosterone levels dropped?

Please select the black triangle:

What are the symptoms of low testosterone (Low-T)?

It is important to distinguish between a normal decline of testosterone levels and hypogonadism.

Signs and symptoms of low testosterone include:

• Change in sleep patterns: insomnia or sleep disturbances
  • Physical changes: increased body fat and reduced muscle bulk
  • Sexual changes: reduced sexual desires, sexual dysfunction, or infertility
  • Emotional changes: decreased motivations, depression
  • Worsening of sleep apnea
  • Worsening of congestive heart failure

Although testosterone therapy helps with hypogonadism, whether it helps in the reversal or slowing of normal effects of aging and lower testosterone levels is unclear. Several published research articles have conflicting results and more research is needed to make a final determination about the use of testosterone for healthy aging males.

Return to Low Testosterone (Low T)

Comment from: Frank, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 10

I developed low energy and depression a few years ago. I was prescribed antidepressants which never work. I friend suggested a few months ago that I get my testosterone checked. I went to the doctor and had my testosterone level checked. It was 150. My doctor prescribed Testim and within a week I could feel the positive effects. By the end of 30 days I had great energy, sexual interest, no depression, no more crying spells. I went to the gym daily and lost a few pounds. My testosterone lever now on testim went from 150 to 301. Life was great. Last month I went to get my 2nd refill of Testim and was told by the pharmacy that my provider would no longer cover Tesitim. I had to switch to Androgel. I switched to Androgel for 30 days and noticed the depression came back . This time big time with crying spells, more loss of motivation energy, no sexual interest and a very low sense of wellbeing. I contacted my doctor for a follow test of my testosterone Androgel. The test came back at 70! The blood lab showed that I went from 301 on Testim to 70 while on Androgel. My doctor and I are trying to appeal the health care provider to let me remain on Testim. Not all cells work the same for everyone. Some gels your body will absorb better and will affect you more positively. Androgel is not the bioequivalent to Testim. Take control of your health. Doctors and healthcare providers need to be educated. I am hoping to get back on take and survive this.

Comment from: June T, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 10

I am 38 and had a partial hysterectomy almost 3 years ago. Since then my ovaries have significantly decreased in size. My T levels were super low at a 5! My doctor put me on Testosterone cream to use nightly but the side effects are a nuisance. It greatly increases my desires which are not always a good thing. My fear & concern is the long term effects on my body by me not using the cream. I'm already at risk for bone loss/Osteoporosis due to my hysterectomy and failing ovaries. Since i am only in my late 30's I'm nervous to see how this might affect me in another 30 years.

Stay Informed!