Low Testosterone (Low T) - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience when your testosterone levels dropped?

Please select the black triangle:

What are the symptoms of low testosterone (Low-T)?

It is important to distinguish between a normal decline of testosterone levels and hypogonadism.

Signs and symptoms of low testosterone include:

• Change in sleep patterns: insomnia or sleep disturbances
  • Physical changes: increased body fat and reduced muscle bulk
  • Sexual changes: reduced sexual desires, sexual dysfunction, or infertility
  • Emotional changes: decreased motivations, depression
  • Worsening of sleep apnea
  • Worsening of congestive heart failure

Although testosterone therapy helps with hypogonadism, whether it helps in the reversal or slowing of normal effects of aging and lower testosterone levels is unclear. Several published research articles have conflicting results and more research is needed to make a final determination about the use of testosterone for healthy aging males.

Return to Low Testosterone (Low T)

Comment from: Li'l Abner, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 05

I have Low Testosterone, and have been getting shots every 3 weeks for 2 years now. It has made an enormous difference in my life. I regained muscle mass, lost weight, regained my interest in Sex. My Dr. has decided that I should go off of the shots for 4 months so she could determine the cause of my low T. Since then I have gained 10 pounds, I am developing breasts, I have no interest in sex, I don't want to leave the house or do anything with friends and family, I am depressed most of the time. I fear she won't return to giving me the shots because she said that since I have sleep apnea it disqualifies me from T therapy. I don't know what I'll do if I have to live like this.

Comment from: June T., 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 19

I am 38 and had a partial hysterectomy almost 3 years ago. Since then my ovaries have significantly decreased in size. My T levels were super low at a 5! My doctor put me on Testosterone cream to use nightly but the side effects are a nuisance. It greatly increases my desires which are not always a good thing. My fear & concern is the long term effects on my body by me not using the cream. I'm already at risk for bone loss/Osteoporosis due to my hysterectomy and failing ovaries. Since i am only in my late 30's I'm nervous to see how this might affect me in another 30 years.