Hematoma - Treatments

What type of hematoma did you experience and what was the treatment?

Please select the black triangle:

What is the treatment for a hematoma?

Hematomas of the skin and soft tissues are often treated with RICE (rest, ice, compression, elevation). Some health care practitioners may advocate heat as another treatment alternative. The pain of a hematoma is usually due to the inflammation surrounding the blood and may be treated with over-the-counter pain medications. The choice of medication depends upon the underlying health of the patient. For those patients who are taking anticoagulation medications, ibuprofen is relatively contraindicated (not recommended) because of the risk of gastrointestinal bleeding. Patients with liver disease should not take over-the-counter acetaminophen. When in doubt, it is wise to ask the health care practitioner or pharmacist for a recommendation.

Treatment for hematomas involving other organs in the body depends upon what organ system is involved. In these cases, treatment will be tailored to the specific situation.

Return to Hematoma

Comment from: beth, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 25

I had an incision down the middle of my tummy in 2003. The doctors found non-Hodgkin's lymphoma, and they had to resection some of my intestines. A year later I had hernia surgery at the incision site. Now, it is 2015 and the doctor found a hematoma (fluctuating hard lump) in the old incision. He removed it and put in a drain. My hemoglobin dropped and I was given 2 units of blood. I am now at home and the drain is in place and such a worry. I fear that I will never reach the minimum output in a 24 hour period. I am a 72 year old female.

Comment from: BikeRider11, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: October 01

I had a motorcycle crash about a month ago now and at the time it left me with what's known as road rash. But 2 weeks into the healing process I found that my leg started to burn and itch really badly so I went to the doctors and they said I had a hematoma within my thigh muscle. To this day it is about the size of a small dinner plate and sticks out 3 and a half inches from where my normal skin level would be. Docs gave me antibiotics which are still in the process of healing it. They also said that I would have to have it for about 6 months! So 1 month 1 week down the line it still hurts badly and will still hurt for the next 5 months!