Hematoma - Treatments

What type of hematoma did you experience and what was the treatment?

What is the treatment for a hematoma?

Hematomas of the skin and soft tissues are often treated with RICE (rest, ice, compression, elevation). Some health care practitioners may advocate heat as another treatment alternative. The pain of a hematoma is usually due to the inflammation surrounding the blood and may be treated with over-the-counter pain medications. The choice of medication depends upon the underlying health of the patient. For those patients who are taking anticoagulation medications, ibuprofen is relatively contraindicated (not recommended) because of the risk of gastrointestinal bleeding. Patients with liver disease should not take over-the-counter acetaminophen. When in doubt, it is wise to ask the health care practitioner or pharmacist for a recommendation.

Treatment for hematomas involving other organs in the body depends upon what organ system is involved. In these cases, treatment will be tailored to the specific situation.

Return to Hematoma

Comment from: happy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 14

I had blood taken from my arm which spurted out as the needle left. Immediately I felt a throbbing pain and within half hour a large bruise began to develop. For the next 2 weeks I was in agony - couldn"t bend my arm, I couldn"t sleep at night with the pain and felt sick with it. I went to doctors who confirmed it as a hematoma and said if I didn"t start to move my arm I would end up with restricted movement! There was no treatment for this. I sympathize with anyone who has one.

Comment from: Joe, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: May 13

I experienced a sharp pain in my left thigh. It felt like a football injury I had in my school days and it was then called a charley horse. I went to the doctor and after conferring with another it was describe as an intramuscular hematoma. The pain was very bad and no treatment was offered then but since I was told to put ice on it. The doctor told me it would be about 4 weeks before recovery. It's been a week now and it is slowly getting better.