Wolff-Parkinson-White Syndrome - Treatment

What treatment did you have for Wolff-Parkinson-White syndrome? Was it successful?

Please select the black triangle:

What is the treatment for Wolff-Parkinson-White syndrome?

A range of treatment options is available for the management of Wolff-Parkinson-White syndrome. In the majority of people without any symptoms, there is no need for immediate treatment. However, when or if symptoms suspicious for an episode of rapid heart rate occur, a cardiac electrophysiology study is recommended. A cardiac electrophysiology study is a minimally invasive surgical operation in which special wires inserted through the veins in the legs are used to measure electrical activity inside the heart. During this procedure, the connection can be identified, and importantly, can be eradicated, or ablated (a procedure known as ablation). A successful ablation of an extra connection can permanently treat all the symptoms of Wolff-Parkinson-White syndrome, including the risk of sudden death. Finally, in some circumstances, eradication of the extra connection is not possible to perform safely or not desired by the patient. Medications can then be prescribed to help reduce the frequency of rapid heart rate episodes. Of note, the extra connection in the heart can be located on the left side of the heart (type B) or on the right side of the heart (type A).

Return to Wolff-Parkinson-White Syndrome

Comment from: Hopeful mom, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 22

My 14 year old son just had ablation for the second time. He was diagnosed with WPW (Wolff-Parkinson-White) when he was 7 years old. The first ablation was not successful as the pathway was too close to the aorta which was very dangerous. Now, 5 years later, the pathway has moved laterally so emergency physician was able to ablate. We are hopeful that this treatment is successful. WPW so far has not shown up on EKG (electrocardiography).

Comment from: KR ablation gone bad, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

I recently had an ablation procedure for my WPW (Wolff-Parkinson-White syndrome) that has not given me the results I was hoping for. The channel was behind my heart and difficult to get to. To make it worse, the anesthesia given didn"t work so I had 4 people holding down a 95 lb. woman as they shocked my heart into the irregular arrhythmia 3 different times. I have not had a single day I have felt good since and it"s been 3 months. Since then I have developed high blood pressure (sometimes 195/115 with a pulse of 144). I still have the bouts of a racing heart daily, but have started incurring stroke like symptoms and had 3 small seizures. My emergency physician (EP) says I may have another channel that was missed but decided not to address my blood pressure, so I went to a non EP and took matters into my own hands. Still no one seems to want to address the numbness in my arm and mouth that have happened or the seizures. I don"t want to have another procedure due to my 1st experience and the after effects I am dealing with that may or not be related.