CA 125 - Testing Experience

What was the outcome of your CA125 blood test?

Please select the white circle:

What is CA 125? What is a tumor marker?

CA 125 is a protein that is a so-called tumor marker or biomarker, which is a substance that is found in greater concentration in tumor cells than in other cells of the body. In particular, CA 125 is present in greater concentration in ovarian cancer cells than in other cells. It was first identified in the early 1980s, and the function of the CA 125 protein is not currently understood. CA stands for cancer antigen.

Return to CA 125

Comment from: Dee, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I started out thinking I had a bladder infection. It wasn't. The doctor ordered a CT and it showed a 6 cm mass/cyst. I'm having surgery next Wednesday. My gynecologist order the CA-125 and said if it was high another surgeon would be doing the surgery. My CA-125 showed a 32. The doctor doesn't seem to like that number. He likes to see a 10. He consulted with the other surgeon and he was instructed to go ahead with the planned surgery but I'm a little worried that it will be cancer.

Comment from: Carolelynn, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 27

I received my CA125 results today and not thrilled. I had stage 3 ovarian cancer, radial hysterectomy, and 18 rounds chemotherapy. At the time of surgery it was 1,291 and today's test was 9.5. I am upset since last time it was 7, 4.3 and now going up. You know what goes on in your mind. Plays a lot of tricks on you. I am just hopeful.