CA 125 - Testing Experience

What was the outcome of your CA125 blood test?

Please select the white circle:

What is CA 125?

CA 125 is a protein that is a so-called tumor marker or biomarker, which is a substance that is found in greater concentration in tumor cells than in other cells of the body. In particular, CA 125 is present in greater concentration in ovarian cancer cells than in other cells. It was first identified in the early 1980s, and the function of the CA 125 protein is not currently understood. CA stands for cancer antigen.

Return to CA 125

Comment from: Marla from PA, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 06

I was having pain on my left side all the way to my back. The doctor did an internal examination and felt abdominal mass and swelling. Ultra sound showed normal left ovary but a 3mm cyst on right ovary. CA-125 result was 16.0. The doctor said swelling/mass in abdomen was most likely stool due to constipation. A follow up ultra sound will be done in 6 weeks on the right ovary to see if the cyst dissolved and was simply a monthly cyst due to ovulation, also known as corpus luteum. I'm feeling such a relief, thank goodness!

Comment from: Judielane, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

My first CA125 was a little over 5000 and after 9 chemotherapy treatments, it was down to 200. I had surgery and was down to high 40s and after 15 more chemotherapy treatments, down to 22. Three months after finishing chemotherapy CA 125 was 36. I am alarmed so I am getting a CAT scan and hoping all is clear.