CA 125 - Testing Experience

What was the outcome of your CA125 blood test?

Please select the white circle:

What is CA 125? What is a tumor marker?

CA 125 is a protein that is a so-called tumor marker or biomarker, which is a substance that is found in greater concentration in tumor cells than in other cells of the body. In particular, CA 125 is present in greater concentration in ovarian cancer cells than in other cells. It was first identified in the early 1980s, and the function of the CA 125 protein is not currently understood. CA stands for cancer antigen. CA 125 is often measured as a blood test.

Return to CA 125

Comment from: jim, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 08

My wife had a CA125 level of 32 in March after last round of chemotherapy, her 2nd bout of ovarian cancer. Recent test shows a level of 122 so we are concerned. She is scheduled for MRI and CT scan but doctors won't speculate until tests are done.

Comment from: Noona, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 09

I faithfully have gynecological checkups yearly. Six months after my checkup in 2014, I started getting low back ache and frequent urination. I returned to the doctor in July 2015. Ultrasound showed a 7 inch tumor. CA125 test was done immediately. The count was 2216! I had surgery within a week and six rounds of chemotherapy afterward. I have had 2 PET scans and CA125 tests have been done every 3 months. Readings have been 7 and 8. Stay positive, keep the faith!