Achilles Tendon Rupture - Recovery

Please describe your recovery after receiving treatment for a ruptured Achilles tendon.

Please select the black triangle:

What is the recovery time for an Achilles tendon rupture?

Once the cast is removed, the initial therapy is passive exercises to regain mobility in the ankle joint. After several weeks, more strenuous resistance exercises are incorporated. This is then followed by gait training exercises after about two to three months following the initial treatment. Return to routine activities usually occurs at four to six months. The recovery phase is dependent on the patient's motivation, desired activity levels, and the quality of the physical therapy program.

Return to Achilles Tendon Rupture

Comment from: Karen, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

In the best shape I had ever been, I was playing volleyball although at the time of the Achilles tendon rupture I was literally just standing. Now 6 weeks later, rupture repair surgery and two further surgeries due to infection, I am still having trouble with the wound healing from the infection. I will be out of my cast and into a boot tomorrow as my ankle is starting to freeze. Meantime I am waiting for the skin to heal and may need further surgery and a skin graft if it doesn't.

Comment from: Donna S., 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 11

My Achilles tendon tore while playing volleyball. I thought someone had stepped on the back of my shoe, everyone heard a pop and I was suddenly on the floor for seemingly no reason. When I tried to get up I knew something was wrong, it felt like I had nothing to hold my left foot up. Injury happened on March 16th and I had surgery on March 20th to repair it. I had a very large splint for the first two weeks, then a cast for another week, so was on crutches till April 9th and then finally a walking boot with several wedges. I weaned out of the wedges gradually and finally wore the boot for the last time on July 2nd. I did physical therapy for a while then used the therapy pool, which seemed to help a great deal. It is now September and I am back to walking on the treadmill and have been doing yard work, push mowing the lawn even while in my boot. Don't think you can't go on with normal activities, exercise will only help the strengthening process. I had my last checkup on August 12th and my doctor is very pleased with my progress, although he said no more volleyball; I guess 59 maybe pushing it. I don't wish this on anyone, but you can regain normal activity with proper care.