Hyperthyroidism - Symptoms

For hyperthyroidism, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

What are the symptoms of hyperthyroidism?

Hyperthyroidism is suggested by several signs and symptoms; however, patients with mild disease usually experience no symptoms. In patients older than 70 years, the typical signs and symptoms also may be absent. In general, the symptoms become more obvious as the degree of hyperthyroidism increases. The symptoms usually are related to an increase in the metabolic rate of the body.

Common symptoms include:

• Excessive sweating
  • Heat intolerance
  • Increased bowel movements
  • Tremor (usually fine shaking)
  • Nervousness; agitation
  • Rapid heart rate
  • Weight loss
  • Fatigue
  • Decreased concentration
  • Irregular and scant menstrual flow

In older patients, irregular heart rhythms and heart failure can occur. In its most severe form, untreated hyperthyroidism may result in "thyroid storm," a condition involving high blood pressure, fever, and heart failure. Mental changes, such as confusion and delirium, also may occur.

Return to Hyperthyroidism

Comment from: ann029, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

I was 16 years old when I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism and until now, that is 21 years old, I still have this disease. For 5 years I've always been visiting the doctors and had a lot of tests. I don't know when this will end because sometimes it disappears then sometimes returns. I easily get tired and I my heart beats fast. My hands sweat a lot and it's so embarrassing when I get to shake hands with other people. Then there is this bulgy eyes which is what I hate the most because my eyes were not like this before, so people used to bully me that I have a big eyes so this makes me sad.

Comment from: Moudsie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

My doctor diagnosed me with underactive thyroid (hyperthyroidism) and prescribed levothyroxine. I weighed 116 and in 6 months (and heartburn) I was down to 111 and she lowered the dose to the lowest one. Three more months and I"m down to 101. I was constantly in the bathroom and then got sick - and had nothing to fight it with; all nutrients were being flushed 6 times a day! I had bronchitis, then had a reaction to the antibiotic and hey, now I"m diagnosed with overactive thyroid! I will never take any more of these medications. I still feel lousy and am down to 90 lb.