Hyperthyroidism - Symptoms

For hyperthyroidism, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Please select the black triangle:

What are the symptoms of hyperthyroidism?

Hyperthyroidism due to any cause is suggested by several signs and symptoms; however, patients with mild disease usually experience no symptoms. In patients older than 70 years, the typical signs and symptoms also may be absent. In general, the symptoms become more obvious as the degree of hyperthyroidism increases. The symptoms usually are related to an increase in the metabolic rate of the body.

Common symptoms include:

• Excessive sweating
  • Heat intolerance
  • Increased bowel movements
  • Tremor (usually fine shaking)
  • Nervousness, agitation, anxiety
  • Rapid heart rate, palpitations, irregular heart rate
  • Weight loss
  • Fatigue, weakness
  • Decreased concentration
  • Irregular and scant menstrual flow
  • Fine or brittle hair
  • Thinning skin
  • Sleep disturbances

In older patients, irregular heart rhythms and heart failure can occur. In its most severe form, untreated hyperthyroidism may result in "thyroid storm," a condition involving high blood pressure, fever, and heart failure. Mental changes, such as confusion and delirium, also may result.

Return to Hyperthyroidism

Comment from: Tek, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 07

I was diagnosed in 2009 with hyperthyroidism. At the time I was five months pregnant which made the situation even more devastating. My symptoms were rapid heartbeat, nervousness, headache, vomiting, severe depression, hot flashes, sweating, tremors and panic attacks. The worst part of it was when my child moved in my stomach I felt like I wanted to faint. On delivery day I went unconscious for 6 hours but thankfully I gave birth to a beautiful little girl. This is indeed a terrible sickness.

Comment from: loops, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism a year ago, it hasn't been an easy year, been really tough. My emotions are all over the place and I can barely keep them under control. I have crazy mood swings. I'm tired all the time, I oversleep a lot, I just can't find the energy to get up in the mornings no matter how hard I try, and it is more difficult being a mother to a 2 year old. My body hurts more than ever. I can barely close my hands in the mornings, they feel so weak I don't have the strength. My heart races so much I can't get my own heart to slow down. I can walk around and do simple things and my heart feels like I just ran a marathon. I hate having the feeling that now my wellbeing and my heart rely on medicine. I feel like I can't live without it. I want to feel normal again. I miss what my life used to be like before all of this started. I get overwhelmed with this situation and I don't know what to do anymore. It feels like no matter who I talk to they just don't understand although they say they do. It feels like I'm about to lose my relationship because he doesn't understand my situation or the way I feel. Everybody tells me to tough it out but it's difficult. Easy for them to say when they don't know what I'm feeling. I'm getting tired of living this way. I'm really thinking about surgery, but I'm not so sure if that will fix anything. I just want to be a healthy mother for my son.