Bursitis Shoulder - Treatment

What treatment was effective for your bursitis?

Medical Treatment

If your bursitis is not infectious, the doctor may inject the bursa with a corticosteroid to reduce inflammation.

If your bursitis is infectious, the bursa will be drained with a needle. The doctor will prescribe antibiotics to be taken in pill form. If the infection is very serious, or does not respond to oral antibiotics, or if your immune system is weakened for another reason, you may be admitted to the hospital for IV antibiotics. Most causes of infectious bursitis, however, can be managed safely at home. Rarely a surgical operation to remove the bursa can be required.

Return to Bursitis

Comment from: Brigitte, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

I have had bursitis diagnosed for about a year in the left hip. It gives me a great deal of discomfort at night and I can feel it the minute I lie in bed. It is not localised to the hip area and stretched down the whole of my leg. It feels as if the tendons inside my leg were pulled like an elastic about to break and at times this feeling goes as far down as my ankle. I have stopped anti inflammatory treatment and have avoided injections to date. if anyone can give me some advice on other treatments i would be very grateful.

Comment from: jenna, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 14

I had the injections for bursitis and sadly they didn't work but I tried a second injection and still no luck. The injection is very painful to have and now I would rather put up with the pain instead of the injection, it's cruel to be awake for that injection.