Bursitis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with bursitis.

Bursitis Overview

A bursa is a fluid-filled sac that cushions an area of friction between tissues, such as tendon and bone. Bursae reduce friction between moving parts of the body, such as in the shoulder, elbow, hip, knee, and heel.

The number varies, but most people have about 160 bursae throughout the body. Bursae are lined with special cells, called synovial cells, which secrete a fluid rich in collagen and proteins. This synovial fluid acts as a lubricant when parts of the body move. Inflammation of a bursa is referred to as bursitis.

Return to Bursitis

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 02

I have had recurrent bursitis (usually in one shoulder or hip) for nearly 20 years. It always occurs when I overwork a joint (particularly with repetitive movements, or sitting for long periods in one position) and some foods can help trigger an episode (dairy, wheat, yeast and red meats). Cold weather can also be a factor, though damp isn't. The initial pain is severe in the joint, and sometimes I have a general inflammatory illness for a few days (like the flu). I have found the best way to treat it is by complete rest until the inflammation subsides, then starting movements gradually. The most helpful is daily qigong, which keeps my joints mobile and usually pain-free, and also improves my spirits. I find mindfulness meditation also very helpful with the anxiety and mood swings which can accompany any chronic illness. I hope you also find ways to manage your pain and live a full life.

Comment from: My2munchkins, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 06

My daughter is 7 years old now. Back in 2007 she underwent surgery in her elbow (her elbow knob broke when she fell down). In 2010 she stayed in the hospital because of bursitis that was infected; they tapped her and drained the liquid from her elbow. And now in 2014 the liquid is back in her elbow and she needs to see a specialist again. I am worried this is going to be a lifetime experience for my daughter, it is heartbreaking!

Stay Informed!