Bursitis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with bursitis.

Bursitis Overview

A bursa is a fluid-filled sac that cushions an area of friction between tissues, such as tendon and bone. Bursae reduce friction between moving parts of the body, such as in the shoulder, elbow, hip, knee, and heel.

The number varies, but most people have about 160 bursae throughout the body. Bursae are lined with special cells, called synovial cells, which secrete a fluid rich in collagen and proteins. This synovial fluid acts as a lubricant when parts of the body move. Inflammation of a bursa is referred to as bursitis.

Return to Bursitis

Comment from: Winters, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 05

I have suffered from bursitis of the hips for over 20 years. After seeing over 17 doctors and going to physiotherapy to 4 different therapists, prolotherapy, acupressure, acupuncture, massage therapy, cortisone shots that didn't help even for a minute, and a TENS unit, the only thing that has helped are narcotics. The law only allows me two a day and now they don't work. It's a constant burning pain. I have numbness and tingling at times. No one has offered or suggested surgery, at this point could the pain be any worse! Depression has set in multiple times because of the lack of relief. There is a sports medicine doctor who advertises a FRAMS method of treatment, I wonder if I should yet add another doctor to the list.

Comment from: Angela, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 08

I have had chronic hip bursitis for 15 months from lifting heavy groceries and from a fall I had. Cortisone injection made it worse. I tried a few different things which didn't work. The most effective treatment I have personally found is remedial massage once a week. I found a very experienced masseur and am sticking to her. The stiffness and pain are lesser and a little of the swelling has gone.