Urinary Tract Infections - Symptoms

What symptoms and signs did you experience with your urinary tract infection?

Please select the white circle:

What are urinary tract infection symptoms and signs?

Lower urinary tract infection

• Bladder (cystitis): The lining of the urethra and bladder becomes inflamed and irritated.
  • Dysuria: pain or burning during urination
  • Frequency: more frequent urination (or waking up at night to urinate, sometimes referred to as nocturia); often with only a small amount of urine
  • Urgency: the sensation of having to urinate urgently
  • Cloudy, bad-smelling, or bloody urine
  • Lower abdominal pain or pelvic pressure
  • Mild fever (less than 101 F), chills, and "just not feeling well" (malaise)
  • Urethra (urethritis): Burning with urination

Upper urinary tract infection (pyelonephritis)

Symptoms develop rapidly and may or may not include the symptoms for a lower urinary tract infection.

• Fairly high fever (higher than 101 F)
  • Shaking chills
  • Nausea
  • Vomiting
  • Flank pain: pain in the back or side, usually on only one side at about waist level

In newborns, infants, children, and elderly people, the classic symptoms of a urinary tract infection may not be present. Other symptoms may indicate a urinary tract infection.

• Newborns: fever or hypothermia (low temperature), poor feeding, jaundice
  • Infants: vomiting, diarrhea, fever, poor feeding, not thriving
  • Children: irritability, eating poorly, unexplained fever that doesn't go away, loss of bowel control, loose bowels, change in urination pattern
  • Elderly people: fever or hypothermia, poor appetite, lethargy, change in mental status

Pregnant women are at increased risk for an UTI. Typically, pregnant women do not have unusual or unique symptoms. If a woman is pregnant, her urine should be checked during prenatal visits because an unrecognized infection can cause pregnancy complications or miscarriage.

Although most people have symptoms with a urinary tract infection, some do not.

The symptoms of urinary tract infection can resemble those of sexually transmitted diseases.

Return to Urinary Tract Infections (UTIs)

Comment from: Nancy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I have been suffering from burning urine, abdominal pains and back pain since 1998. I get recurrent urinary tract infections (UTIs) twice a month on average or more often if my sex partner is in town. I have tried all the remedies and know almost all the antibiotics that treat UTIs. My body cannot take anymore pills, it's like I have been drugging myself.

Comment from: kaitlyn, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

I have had UTI's in the past; it seems that my mom, sister and I are prone to getting them. They're always extremely painful. The last time I had one was after I had sex with my boyfriend, I always urinate after sex and keep myself clean, so I didn't understand why I was having UTI symptoms: frequent and strong urge to urinate, burning upon urination with only a few drops, and the pain would get so bad after urination that I could barely stand, I tried everything from a hot bath to a cool cloth to chugging a whole bottle of cranberry juice! It didn't help; I was stuck in the bathroom for days. I went to the doctor and they tested me for UTI and Bacterial Vaginosis, I was showing no symptoms of BV, no abnormal smell and only a slight discharge but nothing out of the ordinary. Even so, I tested positive for BV and not a UTI. I took the medicine and recovered. More than a year later, after having a new boyfriend for that year, we separated and I had an encounter with the previous boy, the symptoms started again, I took AZO standard pills to ease the pain until my dr's visit, when I got there I tested negative for UTI and positive for BV again. This time they gave me antibiotics for both and it seemed to go away. However, a month later, the symptoms are back. They never fully went away, but I ran out of antibiotics so I figured I was better. But I'm still stuck in the bathroom, this time crying uncontrollably. I still don't know what is wrong with me.