Urinary Tract Infections - Symptoms

What symptoms and signs did you experience with your urinary tract infection?

What are urinary tract infection symptoms and signs?

Lower urinary tract infection

• Bladder (cystitis): The lining of the urethra and bladder becomes inflamed and irritated.
  • Dysuria: pain or burning during urination
  • Frequency: more frequent urination (or waking up at night to urinate, sometimes referred to as nocturia); often with only a small amount of urine
  • Urinary urgency: the sensation of having to urinate urgently
  • Cloudy, bad-smelling, or bloody urine
  • Lower abdominal pain or pelvic pressure
  • Mild fever (less than 101 F), chills, and "just not feeling well" (malaise)
  • Urethra (urethritis): Burning with urination

Upper urinary tract infection (pyelonephritis)

Symptoms develop rapidly and may or may not include the symptoms for a lower urinary tract infection.

• Fairly high fever (higher than 101 F)
  • Shaking chills
  • Nausea
  • Vomiting
  • Flank pain: pain in the back or side, usually on only one side at about waist level

In newborns, infants, children, and elderly people, the classic symptoms of a urinary tract infection may not be present. Other symptoms may indicate a urinary tract infection.

• Newborns: fever or hypothermia (low temperature), poor feeding, jaundice
  • Infants: vomiting, diarrhea, fever, poor feeding, not thriving
  • Children: irritability, eating poorly, unexplained fever that doesn't go away, loss of bowel control, loose bowels, change in urination pattern
  • Elderly people: fever or hypothermia, poor appetite, lethargy, change in mental status

Pregnant women are at increased risk for an UTI. Typically, pregnant women do not have unusual or unique symptoms. If a woman is pregnant, her urine should be checked during prenatal visits because an unrecognized infection can cause pregnancy complications.

Although most people have symptoms with a urinary tract infection, some do not.

The symptoms of urinary tract infection can resemble those of sexually transmitted diseases.

Return to Urinary Tract Infections (UTIs)

Comment from: PitBullLover, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 28

I recently was in the hospital with urinary tract infection (UTI). I had no pain or any kind of symptom except for having a slight fever for a few hours. That happened a week apart from each other. When I did start feeling bad I just wanted to sleep, I was sweating so bad that my clothes and my sheets were soaked. My husband and son tried to wake me and couldn't at first so I was taken to the hospital. By the time I got there I was already 80 percent dehydrated, my kidneys were shutting down and I was told that I was talking gibberish, making no sense at all. I spent 4 days in the hospital. I was diagnosed with UTI that spread to my bloodstream. If my husband and son had not gotten me to the hospital when they did, there is a good chance I would not be here typing this right now. What gets me, though, is how I got so sick with no symptoms to speak of! If it happens again, how will I know unless I have the symptoms everyone here has talked about!

Comment from: Feelingill, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

With urinary tract infection I am having pain and blood when I urinate.