Colitis - Type

What type of colitis do you have?

What are the causes (types) of colitis

Colitis describes inflammation of the colon (col=colon + itis=inflammation). While many causes of colon inflammation may be self-limiting and can be treated with diet and observation, it is important to determine why inflammation has occurred, because of the potential for a more serious diagnosis.

Return to Colitis

Comment from: Charlotte, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

The results of my sigmoidoscopy and a colonoscopy were unspecified colitis! I had just recovered from C-difficile not long before that, so maybe that was the reason it couldn"t be pinned down. All I know is, it's painful and will hit when least expected!

Comment from: Pegwil, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 24

I had irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) for years, as a kid then as an adult, then I got C. difficile and ended up with bacteria associated C. difficile colitis. I"m also wheat and gluten intolerant, borderline celiac. So at times it can be a challenge, food is not always my friend. I manage well, but when it hits as it just did this past weekend it takes its toll on my whole system, then it"s a struggle to get it back into balance. I take Buscopan for the cramps, but rest is key.