Trigeminal Neuralgia - Treatment

What treatments were effective for your case of trigeminal neuralgia?

What is the treatment for trigeminal neuralgia?

• Idiopathic trigeminal neuralgia most often is treated with good success using a single anticonvulsant medication such as carbamazepine (Tegretol).
  • Gabapentin (Neurontin, Gabarone), baclofen and phenytoin (Dilantin, Dilantin-125) may be used as second line drugs, often in addition to carbamazepine. In many patients, as time progresses, carbamazepine becomes less effective and these drugs can be used in combination to control the pain.
  • Should pain persist and medication fail to be effective, surgery or radiation therapy may be other treatment options.
  • Lamotrigine (Lamictal) may be prescribed for multiple sclerosis patients who develop trigeminal neuralgia.
Return to Trigeminal Neuralgia

Comment from: ruthanna, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 17

I take 100 mg Tegretol 3 times a day and 800 mg ibuprofen twice daily for my trigeminal neuralgia. Also, an immediate relief for smaller episodes is a very hot wash cloth applied to the affected side about 3 repeated times. It helps immensely until my pain medication kicks in. I am not sure about the Tegretol, I feel I still have episodes. I am going back in 3 days for a checkup.

Comment from: LB, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 14

Cymbalta has worked wonders for my trigeminal neuralgia; taken once daily in the morning. I am affected both sides, all three branches. First symptoms were about 10 years ago.