Trigeminal Neuralgia - Causes

What was the cause of the trigeminal neuralgia you suffered?

What causes trigeminal neuralgia?

Most often, the cause of trigeminal neuralgia is idiopathic, meaning the cause is not known. There are some instances when the nerve can be compressed by nearby blood vessels, aneurysms, or tumors.

There are inflammatory causes of trigeminal neuralgia because of systemic diseases including multiple sclerosis, sarcoidosis, and Lyme disease. There also is an association with collagen vascular diseases including scleroderma and systemic lupus erythematosus.

Return to Trigeminal Neuralgia

Comment from: kyman71, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 14

I have been dealing with trigeminal neuralgia for a little over ten years. The pain is excruciating and almost sometimes unbearable. I have been put on many medications such as Frova, Tegretol, and many other pain medications. This last November is when I had a flare up after a couple of years being somewhat pain free. I"ve had many MIRs and tests done. I went to a neurologist and after the numerous tests and MRIs, the doctors seem to think they"ve found the cause of my trigeminal neuralgia. I have an artery pressing up against my trigeminal nerve and that"s what is causing my trigeminal neuralgia. Within the next few weeks, I"ll be having brain surgery to fix this problem. After all this time of dealing with this pain, I"ll be free (hopefully).

Comment from: t, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I have been treated for trigeminal neuralgia for three weeks now. I thought I had a tooth ache until my physician and my neurologist said different. I am thinking it is due to my cranial facial reconstruction and removal of a large hemangioma over my right eye 4 years ago. I am being treated with Tegretol XR 2 times a day but to relieve some of the pain I take Tylenol extra strength. I just want the pain to go away.