Trigeminal Neuralgia - Experience

Please describe your experience with trigeminal neuralgia.

What is trigeminal neuralgia?

Trigeminal neuralgia is inflammation of the trigeminal nerve, causing intense facial pain. It is also known as tic douloureax because the intense pain can cause patients to contort their face into a grimace and cause the head to move away from the pain. The obvious movement is known as a tic.

The pain of trigeminal neuralgia is intense and may be an isolated episode or may be occur every few hours, minutes, or seconds. There can be months or years between attacks, but in some patients whose pain is not well controlled; it can lead to a chronic pain syndrome, affecting activities of daily life and cause depression.

Though it can affect people of any age, trigeminal neuralgia tends to afflict people older than 60 years of age. It affects the right side of the face five times more often than the left.

Return to Trigeminal Neuralgia

Comment from: Christine, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 17

I developed trigeminal neuralgia after a nose surgery where too much of my inferior turbinates were cut out. The tissue inside my nose subsequently deteriorated and I got what is called empty nose syndrome. I then started getting strong, random electric shocks in the right side mostly, but sometimes left side of my nose, cheeks, eyes and scalp. My jaw aches and my teeth have a burning sensation. Medications don"t seem to help and make me feel awful. I"m am trying natural treatments. Fingers crossed

Comment from: Sharon, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 17

From 2008 to 2010, I suffered from the trigeminal neuralgia on the right side of my face. Then in May 2010 I went to have the nerve laser treated. I was great for 10 months. I had no more pain, no numbness or tingling. Since March 2010, I started with the numbness, tingling, itching, pulsing, and sometimes pain, but not the same pain as the nerve pain. I feel like I have a Novocain that never stopped working. I wonder if there is anything that can be done now to get the feeling back into the right side of my face. There is no distortion, just some weird sensations.

Stay Informed!