Trigeminal Neuralgia - Experience

Please describe your experience with trigeminal neuralgia.

What is trigeminal neuralgia?

Trigeminal neuralgia is inflammation of the trigeminal nerve, causing intense facial pain. It is also known as tic douloureax because the intense pain can cause patients to contort their face into a grimace and cause the head to move away from the pain. The obvious movement is known as a tic.

The pain of trigeminal neuralgia is intense and may be an isolated episode or may be occur every few hours, minutes, or seconds. There can be months or years between attacks, but in some patients whose pain is not well controlled; it can lead to a chronic pain syndrome, affecting activities of daily life and cause depression.

Though it can affect people of any age, trigeminal neuralgia tends to afflict people older than 60 years of age. It affects the right side of the face five times more often than the left.

Return to Trigeminal Neuralgia

Comment from: cagon, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 06

I have been suffering with trigeminal neuralgia for a couple of years. I feel this started when I had a bad experience with a wisdom tooth extraction. After a couple of years of off and on, again pain started. This soon became pain all the time. I was taking 1200 mg a day of Tegretol. It took care of the pain but I could not think straight. I had a radiofrequency lesioning done as I was afraid of gamma knife and of the big brain surgery. So far it has been 2 months pain free and no more medicines. I have some jaw weakness, some days I speak better, and on others I need to concentrate and sound legible and I have constant burning in the mouth. But overall I am ok, a little pain.

Comment from: MERNO, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 23

I had a botched root canal done last year and suddenly had electric shocks down the whole right side of my face. The endodontist slammed a needle up into the roof of my mouth and I am sure this is what triggered my trigeminal neuralgia. I did very well on Lyrica and in 3 months it was gone. But it has reappeared after two things happened, one a tooth cleaning where my mouth was open for a long time, and an endoscopy 3 days later where I was told to bite down on a large piece of plastic and this kept my mouth and jaw open. I believe it is triggered by anything that requires me to keep my jaw and mouth open for a long period of time. I had planned on implants for some teeth but will not take the chance now! So many people have teeth removed thinking this is teeth related.