Trigeminal Neuralgia - Experience

Please describe your experience with trigeminal neuralgia.

What is trigeminal neuralgia?

Trigeminal neuralgia is inflammation of the trigeminal nerve, causing intense facial pain. It is also known as tic douloureax because the intense pain can cause patients to contort their face into a grimace and cause the head to move away from the pain. The obvious movement is known as a tic.

The pain of trigeminal neuralgia is intense and may be an isolated episode or may be occur every few hours, minutes, or seconds. There can be months or years between attacks, but in some patients whose pain is not well controlled; it can lead to a chronic pain syndrome, affecting activities of daily life and cause depression.

Though it can affect people of any age, trigeminal neuralgia tends to afflict people older than 60 years of age. It affects the right side of the face five times more often than the left.

Return to Trigeminal Neuralgia

Comment from: Roselyne, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 11

I have been suffering from trigeminal neuralgia since 2007. I have shooting pain from time to time. I am under Tegretol 200 mg (4 per day). Medication was working, then included Lyrica 25 mg under the advice of a maxillofacial doctor. This worked until Lyrica was out of stock in my country and I relapsed having shooting pains mostly every day. I am dizzy, in very poor condition as I have other medications as well. Neurologist advised treatment at Chennai, India. I am looking for the best experienced neurologist in this field. One physician told me about one new medicine far better than Tegretol available in India, Trileptal 150 or 300, but not been able to have more information about it.

Comment from: Jim B, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: August 27

My trigeminal neuralgia started about 5 years ago. If my general physician had not controlled it I would have ended my life. It goes into remission for long periods without medication but now it has returned after 18 months. I am restarting the medication today. I found gabapentin works best for me. I just have to live with the condition; other people are worse off.