Trigeminal Neuralgia - Experience

Please describe your experience with trigeminal neuralgia.

Please select the black square:

What is trigeminal neuralgia?

Trigeminal neuralgia is inflammation of the trigeminal nerve, causing intense facial pain. It is also known as tic douloureax because the intense pain can cause patients to contort their face into a grimace and cause the head to move away from the pain. The obvious movement is known as a tic.

The pain of trigeminal neuralgia is intense and may be an isolated episode or may be occur every few hours, minutes, or seconds. There can be months or years between attacks, but in some patients whose pain is not well controlled; it can lead to a chronic pain syndrome, affecting activities of daily life and cause depression.

Though it can affect people of any age, trigeminal neuralgia tends to afflict people older than 60 years of age. It affects the right side of the face five times more often than the left.

Return to Trigeminal Neuralgia

Comment from: jlo, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

I went in for cosmetic Botox injections for lines and crow's feet. My doctor accidently hit a nerve at my jaw line. I began to have pain along the jaw continuing to my ear. The pain was unbearable, electrical pulsating twinges. It began with a pop in my jaw while eating, hours later that same day. The pain lasted for a few minutes on and off than by the 5th day the pain never really let up. I am in my first week on the 6th day of trigeminal neuralgia and it is bothering occasionally and not so intense.

Comment from: Dee, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

I have had trigeminal neuralgia (TN) for the last 5 years. It is only on the right side of my face. I have a shocking sensation on upper jaw, head is sensitive to touch during migraines, and a feeling of something crawling under my skin. The pain is controlled by regular visits to my chiropractor. This also cured the migraines I have lived with for years.