First Aid for Seizures - Experience

Please describe your experience with seizures.

First aid for seizures facts

• Epilepsy is a medical condition that produces seizures.
  • Causes of epilepsy include brain diseases, illness, or injury, but the cause of many seizure disorders is unknown.
  • Common symptoms of seizures include unconsciousness, muscle contractions and convulsions, clouded awareness, weakness, loss of sensation, strange sensation in the stomach, lip smacking, fidgeting, confusion, and sleepiness after the seizure.
  • There are many different types of seizures (grand mal, febrile), from a first aid point of view the underlying type of seizure or trigger has limited importance.
  • First aid for seizures is aimed at keeping the person safe until the seizure stops on its own. Stay calm, loosen anything around the person's neck, do not restrain them or put anything in their mouth, clear the area around them, and stay with them after the seizure stops.
  • Call 911 if the seizure lasts longer than 5 minutes, the person has another seizure, does not wake up, or has another medical condition.
  • Some seizures can be prevented by taking prescribed seizure medication regularly, checking for drug interactions, avoiding alcohol, and avoiding seizure triggers.
Return to First Aid for Seizures

Comment from: Greg, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 20

I have been having grand mal seizures since 1996. Multiple head injuries was the cause. I am alcoholic and most seizures have been triggered by alcohol. They have been lasting longer and more violent.

Comment from: squeezer, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

My seizures started at 40, it took a while for me to move past denial and seek treatment. I ended up having a cavernous malformation (from birth but absolutely no issues until later in life). I had successful surgery and am now over 5 years seizure free but am still on carbamazepine. I want to try weaning off the medications but at the same time I do not want another seizure (its terrible waking up to your kids scared faces). Although I detest what the medicines do to me, I am leaning towards staying on the medications, keeping my job and license and not having the worry of another seizure. Denial is a large part of my illness. I still get angry when my doctor tells me I"m an epileptic and that is a big part of this illness. There is a stigma attached that I have a hard time dealing with and yet I know how lucky I am that medications can help this illness (it's just the meds are so strong). I feel better for sharing, thank you all and good luck.

Stay Informed!