Hiccups - Length of Time

How long did you have hiccups?

Please select the black triangle:

Are there any complications of hiccups?

Because most cases of hiccups resolve themselves either spontaneously or with self-administered treatment, complications are extremely rare.

In severe and persistent cases, where hiccups disturb eating and sleeping patterns, weight loss or sleep disturbances may occur.

Rarely, cardiac arrhythmias and gastroesophageal reflux (GERD and GER)have been noted in severe cases of hiccups.

Return to Hiccups

Comment from: astraman, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 19

I've had hiccups on and off for 10 years. When they start they last for 2 to 3 days. I found some remedies on line, so will try them. They make me extremely unwell and drive me mad. I tried many tablets but none have worked.

Comment from: AZaki, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 29

I am 24 year old female, weighing 54 kg. I have always had hiccups while eating rice, especially hot rice, and eating chilies, like peri-peri or Asian pakoras filled with green chili. I also hiccup when I eat stale bread or chapatti. Usually my hiccups last twenty minutes and fade themselves. Their frequency falls as I drink water while taking above mentioned meals.