Black Eye - Cause

What was the cause of your black eye?

What causes a black eye?

The most common cause of a black eye is a blow to the eye, nose, or forehead. Depending on where the blow lands, one or both eyes may be affected.

A blow to the nose often causes both eyes to swell because the swelling from the nasal injury causes fluid to collect in the loose tissues of the eyelids.

Other causes of black eye include:

• surgical procedures to the face, such as a facelift, jaw surgery, or nose surgery;
  • a certain type of head injury, called a basilar skull fracture, causes both eyes to swell and blacken; this condition is typically described as "raccoon eyes."

Other causes of swelling around the eye include (these conditions do not necessarily make the skin turn black and blue around the eye):

• allergic reactions,
  • bites,
  • cellulitis (skin infection around the eye),
  • angioedema (swelling, usually around both eyes), and
  • dental infections.
Return to Black Eye

Comment from: Jane, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 06

I woke up with a black eye (under my eye and moving down by the nose). I have no idea how I got it. It then progressed under my eye and on my eyelid. Someone said a broken blood vessel can sometimes cause a black eye.

Comment from: jef4424, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: April 22

I fell off the bed and hit the corner off my eye missing the eyeball about a quarter of an inch. My eye is black and bloodshot, waters some, and is very painful.