Broken Finger - Complications

What complications did you experience with your broken finger?

What are the complications of a broken finger?

After reduction, immobilization, and four to six weeks of healing, the prognosis for healing is excellent for a broken finger.

• Joint stiffness is the most common problem encountered after treatment of fractures in the fingers due to scar tissue formation and the long immobilization period. Physical therapy may be prescribed (preferably by a hand therapist) to regain range of motion.
  • Rotation can occur when one of the bones in the finger rotates abnormally during the healing process. This can cause deformity and decreased ability to use the injured finger when grasping.
  • Nonunion is a complication of some fractures when the two ends of the bone do not heal together properly, leaving the fractured area unstable.
  • If the skin is injured or if surgery is necessary to fix the fractured bone, infection may result.
Return to Broken Finger

Comment from: Karter, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: March 31

I have a fracture on my second distal phalange. It took me about 12 days before I went in to the doctor and confirmed it was a fracture. It doesn"t straighten out all the way even though I wore a splint regularly for 2 1/2 weeks.